Uneven floors

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by David Furnell, Aug 28, 2016.

1. David Furnell

David Furnell New Member

Hi folks,

I'm currently in the process of replacing my kitchen.
    I am hoping to install floor tiles but I am having a few issues, it looks like the kitchen at some point was two separate rooms. One half looks to have a concrete base whilst the other half has floor boards.
    The issue is that the floorboards are roughly the same height as the existing floor tiles, my initial thinking was to tile straight over the existing floor tiles but unfortunately this would prevent the back door opening. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Provided the concrete is flat and floorboards flush what about putting vinyl down, amtico or karndean, something like these that can look very similar to tiles? Very thin, and look really good, loads of examples about?
    An obvious one, but if the back door is timber just cut the bottom to suit tiles. One other long shot is if your back door is pvc, look if there's a cover strip or moulding fitted at the top of the frame, at the head. If so, then you may have a bit of play in jacking the whole frame up just enough to clear new laid tiles, but it's a right ballache to do.

3. David Furnell

David Furnell New Member

Thanks Jord,
    I've just had a had a look at the door again it doesn't look like it can be trimmed in anyway.
    The existing tiles are 12mm thick and the floorboards are level with these (so the floorboards are approx 12mm above the concrete).

Unfortunately we have a Dog and that seems to have a real fondness for Lino, whilst it would be easier to put Lino down hard finished floor will be much more long lasting

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Any pictures available to survey the lie of the land please mate?

5. David Furnell

David Furnell New Member

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Hmm, awful tight, is it possible to lift up the back door frame as mentioned earlier, looking from the outside is there any cover mould on the top of the pic frame? If not, as a last resort it is possible to take the door frame out, and saw or plane the head of the frame a bit, refit frame but pack it up as high as possible to clear tiles, but again it's a lot of messing about.

7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

The door is the problem. Think you need to accept you will have to alter/raise/replace it and then everything else drops in to place. Anything else is just a bodge.