Uneven old suspended floor PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by James007, Sep 25, 2016.

1. James007

James007 New Member

Hi new to the site, have recently built a new extension side wrap and rear to my 1935ish bungalow, changed the layout inside considerably and the former kitchen has now become a bedroom. However I have a big problem, 3/4 of the room has the old suspended floorboards very uneven! and the other 1/4 is a concrete base which I presumed where an old aga used to sit? I self levelled this to bring it up to the correct height of the floorboards and covered it with a membrane. However once all this was done I realised how bad the floorboards actually are!

What can I do to sort this?
    1, put osb board down over the whole lot? Only problem is this will then increase the floor height with the rest of the house not ideal!

2, Remove all the old suspended floorboards and re-lay 18mm tongue and grooved? Only problem is when this is screwed in wont it just sit unlevel like the floorboards? Maybe it's the joists that are wrong heights?

3, I know you can get a self levelling compound called feather edge, can I pour this over the existing floorboards and then lay the new floor? Would only increase height by a few mm.

I forgot to say I want to lay a laminate floor as the finished floor or possibly a glued engineered wood floor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If it was my house I would take out the wooden floor and replace it with a dpm layer, insulation and a layer of concrete.

Self leveling compound over timber isn't the best.

What is the area you want to board and budget ?

KIAB likes this.
  3. James007

James007 New Member

Thanks for your advice, the area is 10sqm, I've now removed all the joists and old floorboards this evening :( just the small supporting walls left.

The rest of the house is all suspended floor even the new extension so would it matter if I did this room with concrete? It's a big height to get it up to the finished floor level!
    My budget isn't a concern as I've been renovating the entire house for three years!

4. Hi James.

Is it a problem to have chust that room with a concrete floor? No, provided any ventilation that was under the suspended floor is allowed access to the rest of the hoosie. Ie - if there are vent bricks on any of the external walls in that room, be sure to continue them - using ducting - to to the adjacent rooms.

Was the original timber floor chust uneven or was it actually springy? What was the cause?

Anyhoo, it's your call - either fill with concrete or relay new joists, making sure they are beefy enough and/or have an additional dwarf wall supporting them adequately.

If you redo it in timber, consider adding insulation since it's all upski. Don't know the best way of doing this, but there should be plenty of info out there.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This would be the ideal way to do it. Surprising how quick the depth will fill p

upload_2016-9-25_23-8-50.png

Rob_bv and KIAB like this.
  6. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I agree with sospan's solution. You may be able to get away with screwing down something like 6mm (or preferably 12mm) Multipro across the entire floor (drilled, plugged and screwed at the concrete) then level it all out with a flexible SLC; but even then, there is no guarantee that you won't get cracking at the boundary with the concrete.