Uneven plaster board.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Andrew taylor, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Andrew taylor

Andrew taylor Member

Hi guys I'm doing my bathroom at the moment .Never done one before ,but need to sell up and move . Budget is very tight so I'm doing it myself .

Question is I dot and dabbed some plaster board on the walls because the plaster had blown. Just put edge beading around window and at the top it sticks out a bit . Think maybe my board dropped in a bit as wall was uneven. Question is what plaster do I use to skim ? Because I think it's gonna be about 10/13 mm and guessing multi finish will crack and sag maybe .It's also chunky around the inside of the window to as used the big beading as apposed to the mini .

Thanks guys I'm guessing I might get pay a tradesman and all manner of abuse. Just can't afford too ,hit hard times .

Cheers

2. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Dot and Dab needs to be spot on otherwise your boards will be all over the place. If it's just blown could you not use bonding? Skim should only be thin not thick as you said it will crack up. Pics will help to advise you

Astramax likes this.
  3. Andrew taylor

Andrew taylor Member

Your right the wall I took down to bare brick only part though. Side of window ,not window internals. As I put bead on I realised the board dipped in at the top. As I've set the bead correctly . The top of the window needs a good 10mil . Do I use bonding plaster ,then multi finish? Cheers bud

4. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I would yeah. Bound it out to where you need it then a thin layer of multi finish on top.

5. Andrew taylor

Andrew taylor Member

Cheers mate . Wouldn't attempt as a rule but needs must and need to sell and downsize a little.

6. Andrew taylor

Andrew taylor Member

Oh do I bond then skim while the bond goes hard or wait for the bond to dry then multi finish it? Cheers

7. Andrew taylor

Andrew taylor Member

Also do I pay the plasterboard before using bond ?

8. Andrew taylor

Andrew taylor Member

PVA .stupid predictive text

9. Andrew taylor

Andrew taylor Member

Also a quick question I used one coat on a wall where some plaster had blown in places. Am ok to put more on to level it up better. I'm tiling that wall

10. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Let the bonding dry out first. No need to pva board. How much has it shrunk? You may better putting a deeper bed of adhesive in that area if it's not to deep.

11. Andrew taylor

Andrew taylor Member

No my own fault the wall was bad. I took off the bad bits quite ruthless. So removed about 60% off the plaster. Pva'd it then struggled to get it level ,think it was to wet. Plus it was quite dark ,plus the first wall i trued. Now it's dry I have a straight edge now and it places it's a good 10mm shy of being flat. Don't really wanna make the depth up with tile adhesive really.

12. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Pva before you apply the next coat

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Level it up with bonding...

14. Andrew taylor

Andrew taylor Member

Cheers guys gonna have a go. Quite concerned about tilling along the bath length as the wall it meets to the bottom of the bath is the bad wall. So I need in plumb as I think the tiles will look bad.