Unusual problem with compound mitre saw

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jarveye, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Jarveye

Jarveye New Member

I have an annoying, unusual and potentially dangerous problem with my Makita MLS100/2 250mm Compound Mitre saw

Ive never noticed this before and its only had light usage over the space of a couple of years, but i cant understand how a) i could never have noticed it before or b) how it could have happened since i got it.

the guide at the back which you hold the wood against seems to me to be totally off... when i first noticed it (as the wood was jumping badly when cutting it) i assumed the wood was badly warped, but i checked this and it isnt the wood., i have attached a photo which is hard to make out, but when pressing the wood against the back rail, then there will be an open gap int he centre asif the 2 parts of the rail are squint, so when the wood is cut through, the blade forced the wood to jump backward to hit the rail.

its not apparent or a problem when trimming a small bit off the end of a bit as the wood will sit flush when pressed again one side only...

but of course the problem here is that i have no idea if it is cutting even remotley accurate angles...

in the 2nd attached image i have tried to draw a diagram showing what i mean, in A a long peice is held against the rail creating a gap, in B a shorter peice is held and is ok, but potentially not at a 90 degree angle...

Please forgive me if i am being stupid here but what is going on? as i said it has had light use so i cant understand what would cause this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The rear fence is adjustable I think.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've used one of those occasionally and it never seemed quite right but it wasn't often enough or off enough to investigate.

4. Jarveye

Jarveye New Member

I can see bolts on the fence, but the fence sides are connected by a cemi-circle at the back so don't know how I could adjust each side to staighten it...

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The opinion I got through using one was that it was a mistake, I thought it was a dodgy copy but it seemed to be a genuine Makita but built to B&Q quality, I hated it but I like Makita gear in general and have no problems with any of their other gear.

6. Hi Jarveye.

Blimey, that's some gap. No idea how significant it is, so I'd suggest contacting Makita themselves and asking whether it's 'normal' and whether it's adjustable in any way.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The quaily of Makita mitre saws have gone down hill, to earlier model.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Send it back, they must know this model is useless and probably wont quibble.