Unvented system problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Munkyface, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Munkyface

Munkyface New Member

hi all

So the plumber and electrician are scratching their heads - they have fitted an unvented system and all is well until they connect the 2 port zone valve. When the boiler kicks in on the dhw it trips the electric.

Mid port seems to be working ok.

They have left the manual override on the 2 port open and it's not wired in but all systems are working whilst they go away and research?

Has anyone had this before?

Thanks

2. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Sounds like there is a fault either with zone valve or maybe a neutral to earth? If it is only when zone valve is energised [can't remember whether there is a permanent live to 2 port valve,,,] then it has to be wiring or a faulty valve.

3. Munkyface

Munkyface New Member

Hi 14th edition

When I spoke to them they said that the synchron motor in the valve was fine and it worked ok without the permanent live connected but when the perm live was connected it immediately tripped. Does that suggest the faulty valve more than the wiring as it works fine without it?

Thanks for your reply

4. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Hi, yes there is a permanent live when the power is on, i think I would replace the head completely and see what happens, only a 15 min job!

5. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    It's quite possible the wiring is the problem, the hot water stat requires a call and satisfied live back to the wiring center.

It's easy to make a small mistake ....

Double check the wiring with the multimeter, mistakes can happen, that's why there's rubbers on the end of pencils!

Regards
    Peter

6. Munkyface

Munkyface New Member

Thanks 14th edition. I'm no electrician and it seems logical that the head is faulty, which was my first thought when they were scratching their heads and I'm sure they rubbed their chins too!!!

I did suggest it before they went away so I'll let them know it's still a possibility, and I'll let you know if that was the fault.

Thanks again

7. Munkyface

Munkyface New Member

Hi Peter. Thanks for your response I appreciate that as well.

The electrician was checking everything with the meter for an hour or so whilst he was here so I'm presuming that there were no mistakes, and as the system is working without it would there still be a mistake possible?

Cheers

8. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

The two port motorised valve is a critical part of the safety systems on an unvented hot water cylinder. It should not be left unconnected.

9. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Far as I can remember you can use a 3 port valve ,but I'm sure (in the back of my mind) that you also have to use 2 x 2 port as well!!!! So therefore no point in using a 3port

10. Munkyface

Munkyface New Member

Hi Nigel

In the instructions there are both 2 and 3 ports. The 3 port is working fine (I presume as that is still connected and everything works without the 2 port connected). its just the 2 port that trips the power.

Cheers

11. If you were installing a new system you would use two zone valves as you say. The regs state that you must have an nc two port valve in the heating supply to the cylinder so if you already have a three port system it is usually simpler and cheaper to add an additional two port rather than reconfigure all the pipework.
    Munkyface, it's possible that the new valve is faulty but that can be determined quite easily. It's more likely that someone has stuffed up the wiring.

nigel willson likes this.
  12. Munkyface

Munkyface New Member

The 2 port was fine, moved the permanent live to the feed from the tank stat (the same live that feeds the synchron motor) and everything works perfectly.

Thanks for all your help

13. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Hi

I've only read your post and didn't need to read anyone else's comments to come to this conclusion

Your plumber and electrician are dick heads

For a client to be having to source info with a newly installed application, I'm affraid there's only one answer

If your guys know what they are doing.....then a goat lays eggs & a bear doesn't **** in the woods

14. :eek: and :cool:

(Shock and awe!)

15. Stop sitting on the fence and say what you mean :rolleyes:

16. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

And good of him to lock the valves open so you get 80-90'C hot water

17. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

They obviously turned the boiler stat down,,, NOT!