Unwanted indoor swimming pool - what are our options please?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Spinball, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Spinball

Spinball New Member

We have a room measuring 6.8m x 9.5m with a (fully functioning) 8m x 4m x 1.6m swimming pool in it. We don't want the pool any more as we don't really use it and it's too expensive to run.
    We want to convert the room to a leisure / games room.
    We're looking for options and I'm hoping for suggestions from builders.
    What we choose to do will depend on the costs.

If putting down a false floor over the top of the pool (maybe with a hatch so we can use the void for storage) is a safe and viable option, then that might be good for us as it means we are leaving the possibility open to restore the pool in the future if our circumstances change.
    But we're pretty sure we won't want to use the pool for a decade and if we do ever restore it, we would re-tile it etc.

But if completely removing the pool is within our budget then we might also choose that since we can then remove the pump, filter, dehumidifier and other related kit.

pool.jpg

Some advice with ballpark costs would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It should be a easy job to fit a false floor over it flush with the surrounding floor, I wouldn't expect it to be to expensive.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

fill it with water, large solar thermal array on your roof = massive thermal store

DIYDave. likes this.
  4. Spinball, if by 'completely removing it' you are suggesting filling it in, then I think that's nuts. You have valuable space there which can be used for numerous things; fill it full of plastic balls, scatter cushions or - er - storage as you yourself suggest.

It would be very simple and relatively cheap to have a false floor put in. This is even a DIY job for any half-capable individual. And a trap door with steps is no hassle either.

That is the cheapest, most practical and just the best overall solution as it leaves it available for re-instating either for yourselves or for a future owner.

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

surely a floating floor is the easiest option ?

malkie129 likes this.
  6. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Swap houses with me! I don't have a pool so you won't have a wasted room.

Or just put a false floor down. Easy, cheap job and more storage space.

7. Spinball

Spinball New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Had thought about using solar thermal but it's expensive, the RHI won't pay out on swimming pools, and when we did have it up and running even the kids couldn't be bothered to use it.
    While I can easily build computers and forum communities, when it comes to DIY, I'm not in any way near half capable. No, this would be a case of getting the experts in.

The wife suggested putting a floor over it and using the void underneath to set up my drums with a reasonably better degree of soundproofing. It would be tight but maybe not impossible. It would make quite a scary dungeon.

So what do you think it would cost to put a flush floor in? Or a completely new floor over the top of the existing rubber one? The wife also wants to put heating in the floor, but I'm not so keen.

Thanks

8. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

What area are you in?

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Fill it up with water and rent it out.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Spinball

Spinball New Member

South Birmingham. M4 J4 and M42 J1.

11. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Too far for me to give you an idea of cost, I don't know what labour rates are in the west mids.

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

As a guesstimate I would say around £600.00 for the timber based on using 175 x 50mm for joists and 18mm chipboard t&g flooring.

This does not include any fixing, ie: raw bolts, nails, screws etc and of course labour.

I would think a good 2 man team should be able to knock it out in 3 days at the most.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  13. A really, really straight-forward job for a handyman/chippy/builder. No mystery or complexities whatsoever. Show the door to anyone who dares suck air though their teeth. (Unless they're cheap... :rolleyes:)

In fact it's one of those perfect indoor jobs - nice clean wood. And no rain. (Now's the time to have it done - lots of unfortunately idle tradespeeps out there :()

The job should, imo, be fully reversible; snug framework screwed together, and packed betwixt the floor and pool sides with protective strips of rubber matting. Absolutely no fixings through the pool materials.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2014
  14. Drum room?! :eek:

There will be no twirling of sticks above 'ead. And ear muffs will be mandatory...

I think you'd find it unpleasantly claustrophobic. And, anyways, what are drums all about? Yep - showing off. Very limited audience down there...

It would likely be a bit more complex - probably a wee bitty more costly - to turn this into a fully usable room; you'd need joists capable of spanning the 4m width from side to side, whereas if the space were to be used for just storage, you could (would) have additional struts coming up from the pool bottom to support the joists at a couple of points along. These would be easy to store things around if all you wanted was a store room.

So, if you wanted 'usable' space down there, bear in mind the headroom taken up by 8" (?) joists overhead.

Just giving this as something to consider - not suggesting it's a good idea or now't - but it's barely more complex to raise the new floor/roof of the pool higher than the main room's floor level. Ie: you'd have a raised 'stage' in the main room which would allow more (but still barely adequate...) head/swinging arm room underneath.

15. Spinball

Spinball New Member

Thanks, yeah, this is exactly the idea the wife had. Raise the end third (where the semi-circle stops) to the height of the top of the radiator so all 6'2 of me (with spinning sticks ) will fit in there. Put some proper steps going down. Put stepped seating round the raised bit.
    Put ply over the entire floor and then vinyl or laminate over the lot.
    This has to last a decade+ so it's worth doing right.

16. You have a clever wife :p.

Is that one of them leccy Simmons drum kit thingies?

17. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Dungeons and rubber seem to work well together. (well they do on the sites I've seen, strictly for research purposes tha knerrs) :D:D:D:D:D:D

18. Thanks for the PM'd link, JJ. Just what I was after, and pleased you recommend it.

You've had yours for 5 years now? Cooool.