UPVC Cover board advice

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by bigal4865, Aug 28, 2015.

1. bigal4865

bigal4865 New Member

Hi,
    I have read the previous posts which state it is better to replace than cover with Upvc cover boards and fascia's.
    I am replacing and understand the nailing system.
    My question is, would I be able to use a minimal amount of nails if I glue the boards to the wood (roughing up the back of the plastic board with sandpaper and drilling shallow holes to aid bonding) with CT1 Clear Unique Sealant Construction Adhesive as I don't like the appearance of the white head nails.
    I understand that there is a concern with plastic expanding, but if it was glued would this still be a problem?

2. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

You must have a problem with OCD if the nails cause you problems. I'm sure you will have bigger problems in the future of it falling off and having to fork out again for materials if you don't use enough nails.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

With a lot cladding, you nail in the tongue, it then hidden by the groove of the next length of cladding which in previous tongue.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

No tongue or groove in coverboards.

Best you could hope for(you must use the nails[pins] as per-2 per rafter end) is break the head off and fill over with a white upvc filler glue(Stellmax). The pins are stainless steel. Bang the pins in without heads to dent the surface of the fascia, and fill up. Done well, they can be unnoticeable.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Use these to nail. Don't use anything other than stainless steel fixings outdoors, otherwise rust will occur.

6. seen it all before

The nails recommended for facia have a largeish area to be able to support and hold the facia in place, popping off the head and sinking through the finished face of the plastic creates a weak fixing.

7. bigal4865

bigal4865 New Member

Thanks.... That's a really good idea to countersink the nail head. I don't like the appearance of the heads as original wood boards are flat.
    Do you think I should glue as well to try to prevent warping?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

He said it's better to replace than cover up upvc cover board, hence why I said you could nail in the tongue with upvc cladding & have no nails showing.

9. Mr. Handyandy

...than cover with upvc coverboards...

10. Mr. Handyandy

For replacement fascia the pins are large-headed. 60mm x 2mm or bigger.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. seen it all before

Trust me you wouldn't use the 2mm headed pins for fixing on replacement facia, you would use 50-60mm polytopes with a 10mm head.

12. Mr. Handyandy

2mm is shaft diameter(sorry if confused)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

seen it all before likes this.
  13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If the nails bother you, then don't use upvc.