Upvc door handle not moving up

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Benno1875, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Benno1875

Benno1875 Member

Hello

I'm not sure if it's wear or if my little girl has damaged the mechanism by forcing the handle but my upvc patio door has suddenly stopped moving into the up position.

It moves a couple a few mil, you hear the mechanism begin to engage and then it is impossible to move it up and therefore lock the door.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks for your help.

Phil

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Does it go up if you try it with the door open?

If so, you can discount the door, and check all the locators on the opposite door.Top and bottom lug-holes(in the top and bottom of frame - not the side spags) is where I would first look.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Has you daughter put anything in the locator slots that prevents the locks from engaging?

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Good advice.

As Handy said try it open. Then try it shut. Should identify what the source of the problem is.

And as Astramax said check for foreign objects in the frame. My boy likes putting lego men in all kinds of locks etc!

5. Benno1875

Benno1875 Member

Thanks for the replies.

The handle won't move up when the door is open or closed.

Nothing seems to be jamming the mechanism.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Sounds like the gearbox has gone then. That's what happened to me on a job earlier in the year.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You'll have 4 roller catches at the locking side of the door. 2 below and 2 above the centre latch. Pushing the top set upwards would push the bottom set downwards(it's all connected). If one set moves independently it is broken.
    Sometimes the cogs can get out of sequence. If you can push the rollers(top-up,bottom down) then try to lift the handle, it may re-engage.

Worth a try.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

tore81 likes this.
  8. Biffo

Biffo Member

centre case/gearbox 100%

9. I agree with Biffo , it sounds like the centre gearbox has gone, you can buy replacements online and there are some great videos to show you how to fit one in your door. You will have to take out the gearbox to measure to get the right size for your door.
    The make of the lock in the door will be stamped on the metal strip that is fitted to the inside where the lock comes through . It should be a simple case of looking up the make of the lock and with the help of the how to guides on various websites and by looking at how many hooks, rollers, cams or bolts there are on the door , you should be able to find out what model of lock you need.
    If you think that the door is so old that it would be better to replace the whole locking unit , then you could always fit A Yale replacement lock mechanism.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-adjustable-replacement-upvc-door-lock-35mm/74544

There is plenty of customer support on their website and they are not too hard to fit.

I hope this helps
    Mike

Biffo likes this.