Upvc door help and questions

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by gareth_c, Jun 1, 2017.

1. gareth_c

gareth_c New Member

IMG_6338.JPG IMG_6339.JPG Hi guys sorry if this is in the wrong section. I bought a upvc door and made the school boy error with sizes. The door is 100mm taller than it needs to be. I've been told that the manufacturers can't re size that actual door/frame it would have to be a new door is that correct?
    Also when I've tried to sell the door a chap came and looked at, he said it wasn't usual because the bottom corners of the frame weren't sealed this would let water under the door is that correct? I added pics so you can see

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

nothing wrong with that door. the vertical piece is wider than the horizontal because ( my guess) is that the hinges are there. So you can open the door fully when fitted. If they didn't do that, hinges would interfere with internal plaster. whoever came didn't want the door

keep advertising it, you'll sell it but I doubt for very much sadly

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That open section on the frame is for drainage.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Rubbish. For heaven's sake.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Rubbish. For heaven's sake.

6. Phil the Paver

Yes it is.

7. Mr. Handyandy

It's a DIY drainage job - and incorrect. Also filled with silicone!

8. Phil the Paver

There is something about that, that's not right for a new frame, its been cut badly and as you say full of silicon. Why??

9. Mr. Handyandy

I'll tell you why. Firstly, some fool has bodge-cut that thinking that it will drain out. Where will it drain to? The cavity.
    Ooops. So with a second thought, the fool seals up the cavity end of the cut and just leaves a front vent which he thinks can run out on to the sill. He's wrong on all counts.

Working On It likes this.
  10. gareth_c

gareth_c New Member

So am I right then that the frame has been made wrong, I don't want to start disagreements but I'm not sure it came from the manufacturers like that so I thought I looked odd but just took as it's right

11. Mr. Handyandy

You would never have drain-holes on the corner/ends.

12. gareth_c

gareth_c New Member

Well that's why I have queried it as any water would sit underneath the frame I'm going to email the manufacturer and see what they say

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Isn't there supposed to be a cill or threshold? :D

14. gareth_c

gareth_c New Member

I asked for no cill my front door wasn't like that at and that has no cill

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not familiar with UPVC windows. But ordered windows here for house and drainage could be concealed or face.

As we have terracotta tile cills there was no need for a cill or sub cill so just select 'face drainage'. Which has slots in the front of the frame.

16. Phil the Paver

If you asked for no cill then that door is totally wrong, it should be a low threshold frame which is only about 15mm high.

thresholds-300x284.jpg

Something along these lines.

17. gareth_c

gareth_c New Member

They gave me choice of full threshold or low disabled access threshold. So that full apparently the top isn't like that either it's fully sealed

18. gareth_c

gareth_c New Member

That was the manufacturers response

Attached Files:

19. Phil the Paver

If you think about it, that answer makes sense, but the execution of it is not good.

20. gareth_c

gareth_c New Member

I ordered a standard threshold though so they have admitted something is wrong and it looks untidy in my opinion