UPVC door lock - house going on market soon!

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by UserError, Nov 18, 2009.

1. UserError

UserError New Member

Hello,
    The Fuhr multipoint lock on our door has finally failed (it has been limping along for a while now, but we had hoped it would last until we moved & the new owners could choose a new door to their liking).

What options have I got here? We would rather not replace the whole door, even though it is a bit horrid, as the hall is recently decorated & it would presumably damage the plaster?

Providing the backset depth is the same, can I replace the gearbox or do I have to replace the whole roller mech with it? Are new lock assembles largely interchangeable as I gather Fuhr locks not now available?

Could I find a secondhand door to fit the frame or do they always come in a set? Could I buy a set & only use the door (as I said the existing door is past its prime).
    Cheers

2. nigel

nigel Guest

3. Doink

Doink New Member

Is the door open?

What has the mechanism got in the way of locks ie: roller,hooks,anti crowbar,shootbolts?

Have you removed the mech,can you get measurements from the gearbox,if the gearbox is held on with two little torx headed screws then yes you can just change the gearbox

4. ivymic

ivymic New Member

You don't actually mention what the problem is?

It could be something as simple as the spring cassette in the handles have gone.

Espagnolettes are hard to replace due to there being so many variants. Take it and the handles off clean it and WD40 it. They do fail, but usually down to poor maintenance.

If you think it needs replacing, take as many measurements as possible and speak to a company called Windowware. They probably wont sell direct but you'll get an idea if what you require is still available.

5. UserError

UserError New Member

Thanks chaps -

Nigel - thanks for the link. I've now also found more....( I read on one site that they weren't available anymore, maybe just in the US).

Doink, the door works - the lock won't engage. I am familiar with the innards of the gearbox - it was ill when we moved in some years ago but we were going to put a new door in so I have coaxed it on, then we needed to move and now don't seem to want to fork out for a new door! When (if?) it stops raining I'll have another look to get measurements (I've previously measured 25mm backest & it is 92PZ) & check out the Torx screws or not. It has 4 rollers.

Ivymic: As far as I can tell, the ring gear driven by the Euro lock is not engaging with its neighbour. I have tried to shim it, but the lock body makes this difficult. In the end I put the body side in the vice & tapped the bearing flange/face inwards a bit and this has restored function for the time being. I suspected that there were too many variations and too little standardisation yet.

Hopefully the gearbox only can be changed, otherwise I'll see if Windowware or Nigels's link can help.

Thanks for taking the time to help - much appreciated.

6. Doink

Doink New Member

7. EssexDave

EssexDave New Member

That old link doesn't work any more. Here's the updated link;
    http://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/door-hardware/multipoint-door-locks/fuhr-door-locks/

8. Not surprised - it's been 5 years...

EssexDave likes this.