Upvc door not aligned correctly

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by bond007, Oct 12, 2014.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guys

My conservatory door doesn't seem to be aligned correctly. Its only the middle section that seems to be out of place.
    I have attached pictures of the area affected and one of the full door itself.

How to realign it back to normal so no outside light comes through and air tight.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. Biffo

Biffo Member

either de glaze the unit and pack out the middle or take out the fixings on the window side and pack out looks like the locking style has been fixed on the pxxx u may have to do both

3. bond007

Is it not just as simple as aligning from adjusting the three door hinges?

4. Biffo

Biffo Member

you could try winding the door across , but it looks more than that drop a straight edge down either side it will show whats wrong

5. bond007

Also the door only shuts once a lift the handle up. If a dont then door doesn't shut or lock in the mechanism.

6. bond007

What you mean by "winding door across"? How is that done please?

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Looking at the photos, it looks as if either the door or the frame is warped, I don't think you would have enough adjustment on the hinges to take that amount of gap out, find yourself a straight piece of timber about 5' long and try it against the door and frame to see which one is warped., then come back and let us know so we can try to offer some help for the specific problem.

8. bond007

Inside or from the outside? What am I exactly meant to be doing with the timber please?

9. bond007

Just put a long timber on the outside and inside on both door and frame and couldn't really tell much warp showing. Was showing slightly a bit from outside on the door but no for sure.
    What if the door is warped, how can I resolve that?

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you remove the caps on the top of the hinges, is there an 'allen' key adjuster there? If so, turning them one way or the other can bring the door in or out. The top needs letting out, the bottom, pulling in(the middle one middled). If you can get the whole cover off(might fix from inside with door open?) you may be able to 'lift' the locking side by adjusting back the top hinge, forward the bottom one and middle the middle.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. bond007

Hi
    I taken the cap off from top hinge, when I put an Allen key there was no movement/adjustment happening.

Like a rubber nut type under the cap right?

What is exactly meant to happen when I turn the Allen key either way?

12. Mr. Handyandy

They are on an eccentric cam, and turning it will pull the door in tighter(as in squashing the rubber seal), or out. If it's pulled in too tight it will stop the door closing(it'll bounce back out). Letting it out at the hinges will stop it bouncing out at the closer.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. bond007

Hi am turning it both ways and seems to be no movement at all.
    Anything am not doing right?

Attached Files:

14. Mr. Handyandy

With the door in that position, turning that one way or the other should take the top part of the hinge either towards or away from the brickwork. It won't be much, but 1mm can make it too tight. Turn it as far as you can one way(without forcing it) and then all the way the other direction. You should see the top part of the hinge move.Ideally, you want to slacken it(them) out fully, try the door shutting, then adjust in as much as you can, with still having the door shut properly. When you've finished, remember to leave it set at a groove at the point where the cap inserts go, or it won't go back in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. bond007

Sorry guys, but there is just no movement on the cam at the hinges.
    Put wd40 on too. When a turn the allankey either way just no movement or giving way at all.

Is there any other way I can adjust is, maybe from the lock side?

Attached Files:

16. Biffo

Biffo Member

17. bond007

Face of the hinge?
    So not the top part of the hinge where av been doing it from?

Sorry just don't seem to be following.

What am I meant to be looking be looking for on the Google images?

18. Biffo

Biffo Member

no that will just take it up a little

the allen key showing the +- 5mm goes int oa hole to turn screw to let the door come over

19. bond007

Which hole, the top middle or bottom part of the hinge?

20. bond007

Anyone answer previous comment yet? Cos the information posted on thee thread in conflicting so need final clarification in what to do.