UPVC Door problem

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by koolpc, Jun 19, 2017.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Old back kitchen door. Very hard to lock / unlock door. We replaced barrel about 5 months ago.

Lock works great when door open! lol

Close the door, engage it and only way to lock / unlock is to lift door!

When door open i cannot see any drop in the door.

I drilled the plastic in the frame to open it up thinking it was not big enough but still the same issue!

Help!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Any drop in the lock plates.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You won't really see the drop in the door when open, it's closed when it should show. Does the corner of the door line up with the centre of the welds at the mitre joint on the frame? Any problems opening and closing the door I.e. catching on frame?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Check if something is blocking the locking plates from engaging as I have had that happen. :cool:

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Locking plates?

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

The bit the latch and lock 'sits' in - it's in the frame.

And is it a multipoint lock? Sometimes a screw can come loose in the catches and makes the door hard to shut.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They work loose & can drop, making it hard to operate the 3 point locking to lock door.

Attached Files:

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Try adjusting the rollers that engage the spags. If you push the door hard while trying to lock it, is it easier?
    If so, the rollers can be turned to help pull the door in more when turning handle upwards.

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Only by lifting handle can i lock / unlock door

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is this is recent problem kools and does the sun hit this door

With the recent hot sunny weather, upvc can and does move and expand / contact, leading to this kinda problem. Any easier to lock in cooler weather ?

Other than that, some adjustment is needed, but you have to work out if it's up / down / in or out / or a combination

Looks like Allen key job on hinges to wind up/ down

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

3 point locking is fine. Its when i try to turn the key in the lock while door closed that i have to lift on the handle to get the key to turn.

12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Mine do that too.:rolleyes:

13. Mr. Handyandy

Lifting the handle pulls the door in tighter. Adjusting the rollers may do that for you. The rollers are eccentric, so turning them will slightly adjust how tight the door is pulled in.

14. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

My front door was exactly the same, a real pain to lock in hot weather, you had to physically lift the door slightly using the handle, in the end I basically just put packers/washers over the hinge pins to lift it.
    Locks nice n easy now in all weathers:)

15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Really!! :rolleyes:

I have to 'Lift' the handle / door!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Its not the tightness that is the issue but the fact that i have to lift the door, via the handle, for the key to tun.

17. Mr. Handyandy

You have to satisfy yourself that it is the lifting of the door that makes it easier to lock, or the extra force on the handle turning upwards that makes it easier to lock.

18. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Sorry, kools. I thought you were either on a wind up or had gone a bit senile.:p

When you say you have to lift the 'door', does the frame of the door actually move at all?
    Does the frame pivot on the hinges, or does the whole thing lift-as-a-unit when you try this?

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Try height adjustment via the hinges - easy enough to do

Also, is it a solid door or with panels, be it glass or composite panel/s

If panels, may also need 'toe and heeling'

diysashupvc likes this.