uPVC Facia boards for new build - 18mm or 9mm cap over

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by fobos, Oct 17, 2016.

1. fobos

fobos Member

Hi guys

I haven't fitted too many uPVC facia boards and wondered what your thoughts are on the best way to fit them. I'm doing a new build and I'm wondering whether to fit 18mm thick facias direct to the rafters or if to fit 18mm exterior grade malayan ply to the rafter feet and then use 9mm cap over facia. As its a new build I can do either.

I like the idea of using cap over facia as you can use much smaller poly top nails. The big ones required to fix 18mm facia look ugly.

Thanks in advance, Andrew

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definitely ply first, it wasn't necessary, but I always would give the ply both sides & ends of joists a coat of Wood Preserver, something like Everbuild Wood Preserver, gave me peace of mind against dry rot, wet rot,etc in years to come.:)

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I prefer a subfascia, in this case ply, as it's easier to get your fascia line absolutely straight as timber doesn't bend/more rigid than upvc, so you can fix the capping board straight on provided you've lined it through accurately. However ugly big polytop nails look, you don't really see them at ground level remember.....

KIAB likes this.
  4. fobos

fobos Member

which type of ply to use Jord86. WBP malayan okay?

Most of the specs from the uPVC manufacturers say to use Marine ply but that costs a fortune.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If it's built properly, it's never gonna get wet!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Wbp ply or far eastern, or you could use osb3, but I prefer ply (personal preference)

7. Why can you not use timber I.E 8x1 or whatever width is required,all it needs is a couple of coats of primer.
    It would be less work than cutting up ply and a lot longer lengths than 8 feet so less cutting to rafter centres.

8. Mr. Handyandy

No reason why not at all. Better to have it treated or add preserver only(instead of painting).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. fobos

fobos Member

is using backing timber and capping a better detail than using the thicker uPVC directly fixed to the rafters?

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No difference in detail at all, just fixing methods.

11. Mr. Handyandy

The thing I don't like about the chunky fascia straight to rafters is you usually have to fix with 60mm polypins, into end-grain rafter ends, limited to 2 pins(for appearance) whether they work or not. Then you need to fix the guttering to the fascia(expanded/extruded foam) which can be weighty if blocked or full.

Whereas with the wood behind, you can whack some good 3inch nails in(as many as you like), use one 40mm pin to fix 10mm fascia, then the guttering gets screwed right through into the wood as well, also holding the fascia. With the wood behind you can fix whatever you like to it. Much stronger.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Well yeah, but you shouldn't really rely on the fascia alone to support the gutter, should try to aim to screw brackets into the rafters tails for peace of mind.

13. Mr. Handyandy

9 times out of 10 the gutter needs to be higher than the rafter end.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. Best job is timber then pvc over timber.

15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Hence why I said try, I appreciate it ain't always possible, I use long screws to try to catch the tails, or as I earlier wrote in this post, prefer fitting a subfascia.