Upvc front door needs handle to be pulled & key half turned to open??

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mooncheese, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Mooncheese

Mooncheese New Member

Hello.

I recently bought a new (to me) house.
    It has a PVC front door. (euro lock with twist lock on inside)

When you need to open it you have to turn the key a few times to the right to hear the lock "click" (door opens in to building hinged on the right)
    you then need to pull the handle down to disengage the dead locks but then when holding the handle down.

you then have to turn the key another half turn to pull the catch back into the door? (like a old yale lock)
    Is this a design of the door or is the lock faulty some way & can alter the lock mech in order that when iv turned the key all i need to do is pull the handle down and it'll open ???

I don't want me or the partner being locked out due to wind blowing the door shut etc behind us.
    Or having handfuls of shopping etc and having to use 2 hands to open a door haha.
    Any info would be great.
    Thank you.

2. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

I don't understand what your saying to be honest, if it's going to be a problem or you just don't like the way it works, buy a new mech that's straight forward. Screwfix do one.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-univ...g - Security&gclid=CKvk1Ky0t8MCFQ7KtAodaUAALQ

Mooncheese likes this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It's the way it's meant to be. You MUST open it with a key, unless you use the latch-stop knob inside(locks the latch open).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Mooncheese likes this.
  4. Mooncheese

Mooncheese New Member

What part don't you understand Blue?
    The handle being pulled down doesn't open the door. I need to then turn the key while doing so (from outside) to get the catch to pull in so the door will open (2 handed job). If i take bin bags out without my key and the door slams behind me I'm fookd. Locked out. Just don't like it that way.
    Thanks for the link to the universal Locking mechanism though. Will def invest in one!!

5. Mooncheese

Mooncheese New Member

Ah so it is as I feared then!!
    There was an old lady there before I bought the house so I assume it was incase she forgot to lock it at night or something.
    Right pain in the butt though to be honest.
    Will it be straight forward enough to change the lock system or??

6. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Don't understand because I've never come across this type, that's all, couldn't be doing with all the messing about...

B J

Mooncheese likes this.
  7. Mooncheese

Mooncheese New Member

Ah with you. I thought you meant my explanation (i thought to myself i cant explain it any other way ha-ha).
    Honestly its such an irritating set up.
    But thank you very much for pointing me in the direction of the whole new set up!! its a 100% must have.
    M.C

8. Biffo

Biffo Member

sounds like you have a lever/pad set up . very easy to change to lever/lever

new set of handles with 1 bar will do it

you dont need a new mechanism

Mooncheese likes this.
  9. Mooncheese

Mooncheese New Member

Oh is it??
    What would be the best way to find out??
    Should i take the handles off and the spindle out (or whatever may be there and maybe post a pic or 2 on here?
    Would that be enough to advise me on what set up I have?

10. Biffo

Biffo Member

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The system you have, is what 99% of all upvc front door have, if you had a system where by you just used the handle to gain access, anybody from the street could just enter your house.

12. Mooncheese

Mooncheese New Member

13. Mooncheese

Mooncheese New Member

Thats not so though? Every house iv ever lived in (rented about 6 through collage and life) have had PVC front doors.
    They are all the type where you turn the key and the lock clicks. you then pull the handle down and the door opens... you dont need to give the key an extra half turn to open it. its just.. silly. as i said.. one gust of wind through the house and BAM your locked out. In fact now i think of it.. my parents my grandparents and uncle all have pvc... all are handle pull to open (we must all be the 1%? lol)

14. Phil the Paver

My front door has two long handles with a split spindle, so yes you could have one, that or you have two spindles, one opens the door from the inside, the other allows you to set the 5 points locks from the outside, IE: lifting the outside handle before you double lock it.

15. Phil the Paver

Strange, most upvc doors do not need the use of the handle to gain access, just the key, you put key in and turn it, door opens, magic.

Unless you activated the 5 point locking system, then you need the inactivated that by the handle first.

To stop the door banging closed behind you, when it's open, raise the handle, this activates the 5 point locking system, when these locks are out, the door can not close.

Mooncheese likes this.
  16. Mooncheese

Mooncheese New Member

Yea I hear what your saying Phil dude.
    I suppose iv got used to the system i know where you come home from work... turn key to unlock with a click. take key out and pull handle down which disengages the lock system and door swings open.
    having to then turn the key another half turn with handfuls of stuff seems counter productive. (safety first i suppose haha) cheers guys.
    Il take a look if it can be altered or not... if not il have to learn to live with it for now and make sure it never catches me out

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Doing it one-handed.
    Insert the key and turn to unlock.
    Then pull the handle down.
    Then turn the key to pull the latch in and open(in this situation, pull on the key{pulling the door a tad} at the same time as turning).
    All one-handed.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. Mooncheese

Mooncheese New Member

Quick update dudes.
    I took the handle assembly apart last night.
    Good news!! It's a split straight spindle. So iv ordered a solid one to replace. It'll go right the way through thus making both handles work at the same time. Jobs a goodun!! Easy 3 quid fix in the end.

19. Phil the Paver

If your happy that anybody can just walk in off the street, then job sorted.

20. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

That would be putting to much strain on the key & would weaken it over time

I have the split straight spindle setup & one has to make sure to lock the door by force of habit, when going out or coming back in, to avoid any unwanted visitor(s)

Mooncheese likes this.