UPVC window reglaze issues.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by handymansw, May 26, 2016.

1. handymansw

handymansw New Member

Recently I have been replacing few double glaze units from some upvc windows around my house. These are external beads and glass need to be removed from outside house with the gasket(seal) to be fitted separately from inside house. I had to removed gasket seal first and then remove beads. I manage to remove and placed the glass in. The problem is that in few windows I can no longer put beads and the ones that I have managed it does not seems to be perfectly in place l and beds looks as if they would be loose I will try ot post a phot of this here. I find it extremely hard to put these in place nicely as it was originally. I am not sure if these are old window model (beads are sharp with a sort of triangle shape) or if I am doing something wrong. Anyone could shed some light about this.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I found them a nightmare to do, & a security risk, if you don't glue in place the external beads.

Years ago when had a load of burglary's at my previous area, two blokes one remove the external beads , glass & then replace them,after one got into house, he then let the other one via the door.

3. handymansw

handymansw New Member

Thanks for your reply KIAB. I didnt think to glue them as I dont think this will sort the problem. If I understand the system, if fitted well, this was designed to not be removable from out outside without the internal gasket(seal) be removed first. However in my case the beads seems not be going into place as originally. I have been trying to upload a photo but is too large to be posted here< i will keeping trying.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Was the same thickness of unit replaced?

If you copy the pict to word and then cut and copy from here it will be reduced ins size.

Sometimes I've seen a suction cup used to pull the unit from the outside which ensures that the beads are held in place.

5. handymansw

handymansw New Member

6. handymansw

handymansw New Member

I finally manage to post as you can see beading a not in place. Glass thinkness is the same.I am will posting another photo of the top glass where you can seee the beading in place.

Attached Files:

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Were all the bead put back in their same positions, numbering them is handy..

Doesn't look like the bead has engage properly. Best to remove the internal rubber gaskets and position the beads - pushing on the glass unit from the inside will help make sure they are held in position.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The beads look like the double tight clip ones, so shouldn't be loose anytime.
    To get those beads in, you have to start the corners first. Start with the two short beads first. First corner, make sure both outer and inner clips engage in their slots and say a couple of inches along. Then tap(handle of a rubber handled hammer) to fully engage clips all the way along.
    Do the second shortbead. Then the same with the longer beads. The first corner make sure the two clips are in, tapped or pushed a couple of inches along. You will need to bend out the bead slightly, locate the other corner clips, tap in, then tap all the way in working to the centre of the bead(hear the final click). Go indoors, make sure to push the glass outwards to have a gap all round for your gasket.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's odd the company has almost the same name as you!:rolleyes:

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did you mark the beads prior to removing them?

11. handymansw

handymansw New Member

Sorry for the delay. I didnt mark the beads before but left them on the floor indicating the right position towards the windows. As I have tried several times to fix and didnt manage now they are all mixed. It is easy to identify the one from top and bottom the other 2 is just a matter or trial and error.
    The problem with this window is that is at the house upper floor. So I need a second person to hold the glass to the right position from inside while I can stand on the roof outside the house to put the beads into place. As I am home alone till next week not much I can do alone at the moment. I will definetly keep you guys posted next week about this. Many thanks so far

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I take it you've had a practise without the glass in!

If they are tight-fitting ones, put the top bead in, and slide the sealed unit up in, locate ii in the bottom and it should stay there while you get the bottom bead in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. handymansw

handymansw New Member

I have now put the glass unit in and beads and gasket in place. Honestly I am not happy about this, Everything seems to be in place but for me this is not secure properly. Very odd thiis old system. I never managed to put in the glass in this sort of old windows properly somehow the beads always looks kind of loose. New double glazing windows where glass get in from inside is a totally different history. A piece of cake to fit.
    One more thing that I have just been wondering now. I have used the same old gaskets. I am just wondering if a set of new gaskets would be the solution if old oned have skirinked after years at this window. Not sure if this could be the solution or perhaps buy a thicker gasket that will force to put more pressure between glass and beads. The feeling that I got is almost if the glass unit is thinner and left space between glass and beads but the glass unit is the same.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  14. you could try security tape