urgent help pls new build

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by NeilMc, Jun 21, 2015.

1. NeilMc

NeilMc New Member

Hi Everyone

I wondered if someone else could help me,I'm due to move to a new build in just over a week however last week I noticed some major issues.

The rear french doors are fitted really badly,sills are cut short and dont reach the end of the brick,doors hinges tight up against brick work,silicon ran down and over hinge as well as gaps everywhere

I questioned the with the sales ppl and they advised that the doors were supposed to open inwards and the site manager has said it's better if they open outwards due to water etc getting in. I agree with this but to my mind all the have done is turn the door frame round and install thus resulting in the hinges now on the outside being tight up against the brickwork surely a new frame needs to be remeasured and installed

2. Hi and welcome.

I think this really needs a photo(s) so's we can see what the issues are.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If the frame been reversed, is there a security issues with the hinges, making it easy to gain access?
    But, as DA has said, we need photo's.

4. NeilMc

NeilMc New Member

Hi there

Thank you for taking the time to write back,I have attached a few pics and one where they have just ran silicon down over the hinge I'm due to meet the site manager tomorrow for a inspection but I'm not happy with the doors

While I'm not an expert I would have thought that as the doors were due to open inwards you can't just change the use and they need to be resized

There is no frame visible between the hinge and brick work altho I appreciate your advice

Attached Files:

5. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

That looks absolutely dreadful, the window cill is short of the brickwork, and is not sealed or bedded on mortar. More often than not this is the standard of most new build sites, I'd love to know how the site supervisors justify there salaries by signing of such poor standards of work.

NeilMc likes this.
  6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

site standards are effin awefull, its all about making money now and not building homes, :mad:

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  7. NeilMc

NeilMc New Member

I know my wife is stressing out as we are due to transfer the funds on Friday and move on the Monday with removals booked

However depending on the conversation tomorrow I'm adamant not a penny will be handed over until they are removed and fixed properly to top it all the render / roughcast on the garage side which wraps round to the side of the house is a different colour again this needs sorted as to my mind these aren't small snags but major issues altho perhaps someone with more knowledge could advise us on the above issues

I dont want to be fobbed off by the site manager tomorrow

Attached Files:

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That is beyond a joke and is not acceptable in any shape or form as pointed out and you already know the cill is short, not sealed and quite frankly ****, do not move in until its put right or you will never get it sorted.

KIAB likes this.
  9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Strange choice of finish for a new build???, looks very 1960s.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Haven't seen that type of finish in years.:eek:

11. NeilMc

NeilMc New Member

Well render/roughcast is quite normal up here in Scotland lol but I'm really stressing due to the doors and the different colour of render I'm shocked really at the standard

Would you agree tho that the doors can't just be switched round and made to fit as it appears in the pics?

12. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

If they are meant to be french doors they would have been designed as such with mechanisms for extra security, also they would have been fitted from the outside, which clearly those haven't, so if now they were to take them out and change them it would mean the internal plaster work would be affected as it would have to be taken off to get the doors out. I would say these are well above any small snagging problems and would not part with a penny until they are sorted.
    Also if this is the standard of work on the things you can see I would be more than worried with all the things you can't see.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The doors won't open more than 90°, when open outwards, are there any restrictors fitted to protect the hinges from hitting the brickwork? and eventually making the brick lose.

The glazing on the french doors now look like they are externally glazed.

I think you need a new door ordering.

seen it all before likes this.
  14. NeilMc

NeilMc New Member

No restrictions that I know off and I'm grateful for everyone 's thought's and advice won't be moving unless that and the render is sorted

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

With the beading on the outside, it will be easy to remove & take dg unit out to gain entry.
    You'll need a completely new french doors.

16. NeilMc

NeilMc New Member

Well my Wife has spoken to the Solicitor this morning who has advised that he wants to see all the pictures however he has sressed that if the NHBC and the Council pass the build then we need to move, do you think they will pass this?

I will update later as Im due to meet the Site Manager for a walkthrough later today....