Urgently need help please!!

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Skemjoinermurphy, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Skemjoinermurphy

Skemjoinermurphy New Member

I am currently looking to go back to college and study level 1 and 2 cskills carpentry and joinery. I understand that these quals are diplomas and not nvqs but I have no other options as I can't find an apprenticeship anywhere. I have been offered a job within a bank earning 15.000 a year but it's not what I want for the rest of my life (I'm 18 by the way) so I want to do joinery.
    Upon completing the course will I be a qualified joiner even without nvqs? I know a lot of companies won't take joiners unless they are nvq qualified but I need a company to get my nvqs so how does that work?! Basically what I'm saying is. Is the course worth doing and getting my level 1 and 2 or is it pointless without an apprenticeship? I'm from the Skelmersdale area so if anyone wants an apprentice or knows anyone who does that'd be great. Ps: my birds dad is a self employed joiner and he reckons it's worth me doing the course. Please help lads

2. Sorry, can't help. But, if I could, I would.

I'd take you on in a flash.

Anyone who can and doesn't, is a twit.

Good luck.

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

hello skem, dimplomas/nvqs/level 1/2/3 are no good without practical experiance, no one can give you that, you have to do the knocking/sawing hammering your thumb and sweeping up too, can your birds dad not take you with him and show you the ropes? being on site and showing willingness and impressing people speaks far louder than certs and gold stars, trainee's apprentices are always needed to help the tradesmen but its a lottery getting the right guy/gal, employers are sick and fed up of getting half trained mongs with a draw full of certs and papers 'bought' from fast track skools of learnatradeinaday colleges, if you want it you have to go and find it, cos there's farsands of others wanting it too,:oops:

4. Skemjoinermurphy

Skemjoinermurphy New Member

@tom.plum hello skem, dimplomas/nvqs/level 1/2/3 are no good without practical experiance, no one can give you that, you have to do the knocking/sawing hammering your thumb and sweeping up too, can your birds dad not take you with him and show you the ropes?"
    Yeah I could do bits with him once I had my level 2 diploma but still wouldn't have my NVQ. Would I still find work with a level 2 diploma and decent experience? Seems the only way into a trade nowadays is an apprenticeship. Does level 2 diploma even class me as qualified?

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Ideally, you need Level 2 and 3 (level one is for monkeys mekkin tea n sweeping up) Problem is, to do these, you need to be employed in the building industry to do these things. Don'#t let the name of them put you off. The NVQ Diploma is for all intents and purposes , the same as the old NVQ system (they just added the Diploma bit, to mek it sound better than it actually is)
    As Tomp says, you really need the practical experience, that's why the NVQ assessments are all work based now. ;);)