USB - 2 Gang 13amp socket isolation

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kathekas, Feb 13, 2015.

1. kathekas

kathekas Member

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi.

They are manufactured to BS 1363-2. With regards to over current protection - i can't see how its any different to having the charger on the other side of the socket which would be the case for a phone, kindle etc charger. Others may disagree.

With regards to Part P, should be OK, see below:
    partp_kitchen.JPG

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. That is an awesome answer, Fats :)

FatHands likes this.
  4. FatHands

thanks DA - still only half as good as yours usually are thou mate ;)

5. kathekas

kathekas Member

Thanks. I understand your post. But with a plug in charger its not part of the fixed installation.

If any other item was hard wired into a circuit then at least it would be good practice to connect via a fused connection unit.

6. FatHands

Yes, i understand where you are coming from. I suspect this has been incorporated in to the design, although i have emailed BG about it and will post back with their reply.

7. Fats also provides a personal hand-holding service. For a small extra fee he'll pat it gently with his other hand and go "there, there, there..."

Kathekas - just swap the darned things, for pity's sakes. They've been designed for this job and are a DIRECT replacement.

Sheeeesh :rolleyes:.

8. kathekas

kathekas Member

Thanks. I have changed the units over.

I am just interested in the technical aspects. I did 16th edition C&G and Part P. But its 9 years since I retired and lost touch with the technical aspects.

9. FatHands

I wondered where you were going with that for a moment DA! :p

Sure, me too. I'll let you know what they come back with

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'd suspect they would say that the usb part has its own protection circuit, and will only be using a couple hundred milliamps anyway.(probably akin to a switch having a neon)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Owain

Owain Member

How do you isolate them for insulation testing?

12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Probably the same way any electrician isolates any socket. ;);)

13. Hey, we both know that for a 'bigger' service than that, you charge a LOT more.

That's why I'm always skint... :(

But you're worth it :D

FatHands and Welshdragon1 like this.
  14. FatHands

15. kathekas

kathekas Member

I have just done a test on the circuit and I took the unit off and put a choc block across the terminals.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Flipping heck - just remove the old double and stick in the double with usb whatever - get the job done and dusted, usb mA and mA that. Not a fan of SP switching as per the BG - but that's immaterial really. Its pertinent after the socket is fitted to check patent earth and stuff tbqh.

17. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

It is no different to a shaver socket. What is the problem? Be it a filtered socket, RCD socket or USB socket there are some electronic components but the socket is designed to be installed so what's the problem.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

" This clever piece of kit is so easy to fit as its a straight swap for the existing socket.
    The availability of two USB charging points from the same source as two regular sockets is really versatile.
    Well done Screwfix, made me see that I didn't need unsightly trailing sockets any longer ! "

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well done geezer - I can see you don't mess about and stuff

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

20. FatHands

BG's reply:

Thank you for your interest in our products.

The USB outlets on each socket plate are restricted to a maximum output of 2.1A between them at 5V, but they will only supply the amount of power being drawn through by the connected device(s) up to this combined maximum.

BS 1363 does not contain any clauses relevant to USB power outlets, nor do the fixed installation regulations.

If you have any further questions please feel free to call us on 08451 947 584 and speak to an operator. Our opening hours are 08:00 to 17:30 weekdays only (excluding bank holidays).