Usb twin socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by camels toe, Mar 27, 2015.

1. camels toe

camels toe Member

anybody else almost or have carried out an ir test on a circuit that contained usb's incorporated in a twin socket? I almost did but saw it behind the bed. Disconnected and all good. Never installed these or used them but from looking at one think I might of blew the usb's up if I had meggered them?

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

My gut feeling says as long as nowt was plugged into the USB'S, then no you wouldn't damage anything.
    There must be transformers in the socket to provide the 5v output, I would have thought that the output would change during the test, but nothing plugged in to damage, just my take on it though.

3. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

I have had no dealings with these, is the transformer permanently connected ? ( I would have thought not ) or when inserting the usb plug connection is made ???????????? . No doubt the ****** imports will be on a permanent output red hot and throwing out 100 V plus. :D

4. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Its anti surge extension leads that show classic faults when meggering. No matter how hard you look to unplug things there is always one luring under a wardrobe or in a cupboard