Use this unique method to square a foundation.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by nailbender, Sep 23, 2015.

1. nailbender

nailbender New Member

I'll bet you've never seen this method before. Check it out

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There is a guide to geometry at http://www.fine-woodworking-for-your-home.com/Geometry.html

I always set out one edge first then use the scribing the arc method to put in each side. Because you can use something fixed like battens it takes reduces errors. Once you have the base and two side laid out its simple then to measure off and final check of the diagonals.

But of course its what works best for you

nailbender and Jitender like this.
  3. nailbender

nailbender New Member

Thanks. Snapping lines on the foundation are fixed; no need for battens.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

When scribing an arc, if you use a batten then there is no measuring or play in a line

5. Well, I got to 4.23 before I cut my wrists. Anyone get further?

And - sorry to be a pedant - didn't he get the measurement for marking out the second 5.5" line wrong? I mean, he took his tape from the first datum line and went up towards the where he wanted to put the second line, and the distance was supposedly "twenty foot minus five and a half inches..."

Shouldn't it have been 20' minus 11"? Eleven, because he was starting 5.5" from the bottom line and he wanted to stop 5.5" from the new top one?

And why five point five inches anyways? Why not, oooh, just five? Or six? Or four? Or ten? Or eight?

And why the dull, hesitant monotone?

And why didn't his vertical centre-line pass through where his diagonals crossed near the middle of the square? I mean, surely it should have?

Apart from that it was all good.

At least up to 4.23.

6. nailbender

nailbender New Member

Maybe you could find a video on youtube demonstrating your method?

7. I'm going to place a video of me cutting my wrists.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Cool, full colour ? :)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. nailbender

nailbender New Member

Hello Devils's Advocate, I hope you don't mind I jump in here to help you understand my method.
    "I mean, he took his tape from the first datum line and went up towards the where he wanted to put the second line, and the distance was supposedly "twenty foot minus five and a half inches..." If you go to 1:37 in the video you'll here me say... "have your partner hold the 5-1/2" mark on the chalk line"... So that means it would be 5-1/2" less than 20' , not 11" as you say.
    "And why five point five inches anyways? Why not, oooh, just five? Or six? Or four? Or ten? Or eight?" I guess your not familiar with lumber dimensions. A 2/6 PT plate is 5-1/2" wide and that is why I snapped it at that measurement...."five? Or six? Or four? Or ten? Or eight?" " Wow wouldn't that make a mess of things! That would shrink the building and the plates would hang over the inside edge of the foundation wall, especially the 10" mark you suggest. It wouldn't even sit on the wall; the foundation wall is only 6" wide.
    "And why didn't his vertical centre-line pass through where his diagonals crossed near the middle of the square? I mean, surely it should have?"
    I was obviously free handing the drawing on that part, but you knew that anyway. If you'll look closely you'll see that I didn't use a ruler on that part, but you knew that anyway. I incorrectly assumed that I didn't need to because I figured it was a no-brainer My bad!
    Sorry about the "monotone", I thought I was quite animated. I'll try to sound more like a pro next time, but I have no training.
    I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more difficulties and I'll be glad to explain.
    Thanks Jim Watson.

10. nailbender

nailbender New Member

Don't do that just because you can't figure out why 2/s don't come in "five? Or six? Or four? Or ten? Or eight?" dimensions. I'll be glad to explain it to you; just let me know.

11. Aw maaaan - you are faaaar too patient with me :).

Thanks for the reply, Nail.

12. WAIT!!!!

I found another error :eek:

On your Youtube video, you courteously replied to a viewer "Your very welcome, and thank you for watching."

It should be "you're" very welcome.

And you are very welcome :).

(walks away into the sunset, whistling smuggly... :oops: )

13. nailbender

nailbender New Member

No problemo

14. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Corner cross heads is the tried and trusted method. Then parallel the string lines and tape corner to corner. From there the foundation can be pin pointed and marked.
    But an even easier way is a laser level with "laydown" facility. Shoots a beam in one direction exactly at 90 degrees to the rotating beam that's picked up with the receiver.
    Then finish with the tape corner to corner.

15. [Nailbender "No problemo" [/QUOTE]

My work here is done... :)

nailbender likes this.
  16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I stopped the video at 4:11. Because at that point the right angles are created. Not a bad method I suppose.

The square of the hippotomaus equals the sum of the square of the other two sides. From that the hippo is easily worked out. If you carry a calculator that is.

17. nailbender

nailbender New Member

Now your messing with me! What does wild African animals have to do with squaring up a building? Besides, no two animals are the same size. That doesn't lend itself to accuracy very well. I still don't know what "cross heads are"

18. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Pythagorean theorem!
    Cross heads. Two posts staked into the ground with a lath nailed horizontal across them.
    Corner cross heads. Three stakes driven into ground with laths nailed horizontal to form a corner.

19. (Ry is on aboot the 3,4,5 method...)

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

20 posts about marking out a square :eek::eek::eek: