Used Log Cabin

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by snappyfish, Apr 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

This stage seems such a long way off, my base issue been nagging me for weeks, sealing and so on not working, water creeping in tops and bottom of bearers. Hope all this works. Extra time and money spent which could have gone of other things for the cabin.

So going to order 4x2 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201444346452?var=500624282025&autorefresh=true

As new external bearers, this will be rested sideways on DPC on concrete blocks. so you reckon it will the 45mm height from concrete block?

Then my current internal bearers which are about 50mm will sit inside also resting on rows of concrete blocks spaced around 100mm apart also on DPC

Sound good?

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

47x100 regularised is about 45x95 as far as I know. So 5mm difference to existing internal bearers.

snappyfish likes this.
  3. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Don't think that will cause any issue for floorboards right at the edge?

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Get some new 2x2 as internal bearers and use the old bearers around the roof?

snappyfish likes this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I think it will.

snappyfish likes this.
  6. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Damn, if the wood is 45mm Celotex won't fit.

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Well there is that. Needs more planning!

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If you can find a really shallow block or brick you might end up making a sub frame like mine ;)

9. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

I was thinking that earlier, stood looking at concrete base one end is nearly level with the ground around it. If it ends up being a little high I'll just create a step or ramp.

I also wondered if a subframe like yours with more spacing out of pillars, less concrete blocks just more wood, will work out prices. Grrr I just want this finished now.

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Mine is pretty strong with 4x4 around perimeter. Got 5 legs on long side and 4 on short.

snappyfish likes this.
  11. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

How many internal floor bearers? what spacing.

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Quite a few at different spacing to miss the legs, most are 350mm I think. But its easier for you to support them at regular intervals so you can do 600mm I reckon. Wonder if a paving slab cut into quarters would be viable.

13. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Celotex is 1200mm so could cut that in half and fit nicely between 600mm intervals. Will that definitely take weight on the floor boards, Don't want a trampoline in there o_O

Mine are currently 10 at 400mm and one odd one at the end.

14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The joists need supporting along their length then they won't budge, hence my thought about a slim brick or block, place a few under each joist.

snappyfish likes this.
  15. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

I think it might be easier to sell up move house with a nice cabin already installed.

Found this little grey fella. should get 3 out of this cut up into 150mm lengths, its 65mm high 100mm wide 450mm long.

[​IMG]

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

One every meter should be fine I think.

snappyfish likes this.
  17. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Going back to Celotex, in your floor you must get some splash back around edge going underneath and hitting your Celotex?

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I don't think so as the perimeter timbers are 4" wide and the bottom of the celotex is above that level. Cant really see how spalsh back could get in there. May be there's a tad right at the edges but I can't see it's anything to worry about. I can take some photos to give you an idea.

snappyfish likes this.
  19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

snappyfish likes this.
  20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Right, did a drawing to sketch out what your base might look like along the lines of mine using 4x2s, attached.

Your cabin is nominally 5.5m x 4m, right? With 100mm off each end gives you 5300 x 3800 and then another 10mm all round for overhang giving 5280 x 3780 as outside dimensions of the sub-frame. The two shorter timbers along the widths are 3780 and 3690, long timbers are 5190 and 5100 assuming 2x4s are 45mm thick. Inside you have 7 joists, 600mm apart except for one which is 585mm. These spaces where the celotex goes are 3600mm long, really convenient as that's exactly 1.5 sheets long, so 6 sheets should do it nicely.

For the "feet", I'd reckon on 9 along the length as there are 9 joists include end bearers, and at least 5 across the width (1m spans). That's 45, 3 to a slab gives you 15 of those thin slabs.

For the roof, I worked out you'll need 9 sheets of celotex so 15 total. 10 sheets of OSB:
    - on the 1830 side, cut each sheet to 1200 x 1830, 5 across, gives you 5 offcuts of 570x1200
    - on the 2550 side, use the 570x1200 offcuts and supplement with the other 5 sheets cut to 1200 x 1980, 5 across (end sheets cut to width, 900mm wide). Stagger the 2 different sized sheets top/bottom.

Attached Files:

snappyfish likes this.