Used Log Cabin

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by snappyfish, Apr 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes I noticed it was down today. Might give them a ring tomorrow, have put down a £1500 deposit on the cabin but it's on CC.

snappyfish likes this.
  2. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Was supposed to be going Sunday just gone, couldn't make it. Popping up this Sunday hopefully.

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I just called Nathan @ Frensham, all is fine. He said the server had gone down and they're changing from .co.uk to .com which hasn't worked out well.

snappyfish likes this.
  4. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

I could of handled that nice a smoothly for them, for the cost of a log cabin of course :)

5. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Might be a daft question but how do you put shelves up in a log cabin? is it wise to start screwing into 44mm walls?

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Best way I think is to have standing shelves. But if you are going to screw shelves into the 44mm walls, I'd be tempted to screw in some thick ply first vertically (or a sheet) and screw shelves into that.

The 44mm timbers will move with the weather, the shelving is mostly a shear force but will exert a twisting force on what is a tongue and groove joint between timbers, not good.

snappyfish likes this.
  7. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Those curved cabins are nice but very expensive compared to the DF range. Those steel supports are actually to clamp the timbers together I think, have seen similar systems using internal timber battens from top to bottom. Not sure if they're really needed, mine doesn't come with it.

9. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

So been offered this CLOCKHOUSE 5.5m x 4m (18' x 13') 44mm by skinners for £2,995

What you think?

10. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Looks like a good price given my 3.5 x 5.5m cabin is £3100 and has has one less window. Is it the style and size you want?

12. Try to get a discount.
    They have added a fiver on from the website price.

13. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

It's the one I kept hovering around at skinners, they don't have your version you picked here, any thoughts on the shape of the clock house?

14. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

I'll try paying 80% cash to.

15. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

One more thing, salesman asked what base I had, I said nothing yet but going got concrete slab, he said don't bother with concrete use a timber base instead? Any thoughts?

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Skinners don't have mine in their catalogue, but as all their cabins are from logcabins.lv they can get them shipped in to order. I would look at logcabins.lv choose the cabin you want then get a price. Better still, get a second price from Nathan at Frensham.

I don't like concrete bases, no where for water to go and everything gets wet and stays wet so rots as no ventilation. I'm constructing a timber sub frame on piers, see my project page http://community.screwfix.com/threads/die-lorelei-2017.187656/

snappyfish likes this.
  17. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

What if concrete slab is exact size of building base, water has a good chance or dripping straight off?

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

If you go for a concrete base, then definitely no overhang otherwise water will splash back. I just don't like the idea of having a base where the pre-treated bearers have no chance of drying out if they get wet, which they almost certainly will to some extent. Would be OK to put a second set of bearers first, to lift the whole lot off, perpendicular to the supplied bearers that rest on top - that way air can get underneath to keep things dry.

19. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Thanks, did you insulate roof and floor? Someone who I asked to do concrete base and possibly build cabin for me told me

"need thicker timber for the base framework as lv one is not thick enough for insulation purposes"

Is this correct?

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Why not build your own? It would be much cheaper.