Used products being sold as new!

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Chris101, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Chris101

Chris101 Member

Just wanted to share my frustration with my recent experiences with Screw fix!

Last Saturday I decided to buy a Karcher Pressure Washer that cost me over £230 (elsewhere the same item is for over £300).
    I used the click and collect service (only 2 left in stock) and upon unboxing the item at home I noticed usage stains on the main unit and parts (even brown marks within the pipe).

I called head office as I expected the other one left in stock was probably used as well so was hoping they would send me a new one from their warehouse when I explained the problem.
    The lady I spoke to was apologetic and arranged collection of the old product and delivery of the new item for this Monday.
    *At this point i should have made sure she was arranging delivery of the new product from another store however I didn't...

On Monday (2 days later), even on a times 1hr delivery, the collection/delivery was late by 45mins!
    I expected as they had arranged all this there was no way I would be receiving a used product again, so I did not both unboxing the item.
    Yesterday I got home from work a little earlier than expected so I decided to unbox the item....
    and lo behold it also had marks that the product had been used.
    This time though he main unit still had water in it and was dripping, the wires had cable ties missing and instead had white elastic material holding the wires in place!

I didn't want the hassle of going through the same process again so I have simply decided to keep the item but not sure why Screwfix are cheating their customers like this!

Thought it was best to inform others so they are aware and can be cautious with future purchases!

2. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi @Chris101

I'm sorry to read of the problems with your recent order.

Please contact our Customer Service Team on 03330 112 112 or email them on online@screwfix,com with your order details so we can investigate this and resolve this matter for you.

Peter

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Never, ever had any item that looked used from Screwfix.

All retailers won't allow any electrical item that has been returned to be re-sold. All items are returned to a central location and then disposed off in bulk. The items you have were probably like that as part of some factory testing process.

4. Chris101

Chris101 Member

I appreciate your personal experiences may have been different but it is clear when an Item is used and not!
    Especially the fact that the first box had black official cable ties and the 2nd had elastic!
    May I add I also called Karcher to verify...

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Are you sure the product is used, or is it simply left over water from testing the product before it left the factory? What kind of marks were there?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::eek:

SFP is watching...:rolleyes:

teabreak likes this.
  7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sometimes in a Screwfix store a customer will request to see a product and a box is opened for them. I can imagine that getting it back they way the factory packages it will be difficult.

What is it you are trying to achieve ? As most of us have found Screwfix, will happily take a product back if it doesn't meet a customers expectations

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Customers regularly open boxes in stores and inspect the items - and remove bits !

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

10. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

Similar thing happened to me a couple of times. One being a door closer, parts missing and marks on the other bits. I can't remember what the other was at the moment.

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Couple years ago bought 10lt Dulux emulsion from BQ. Used the product before and knew it was nice and thick in the bucket

Got this one home, took off lid and gave a stir, was really thin and pishy, thicker than a mist coat but not much

Also by stiring the paint, I noticed bits of grit and rubbish in the paint. Then noticed a fine spray of paint on the bucket- as if had been in the room when the ceiling was rollered. The kind person had obviously used say half the bucket, topped up with water and then returned for a refund

Changed over no problem by customer service and they told me some weeks earlier, they had another 10 lt emulsion returned that some clever person had partially used,then chucked a house brick in bucket to make up the weight before returning :eek:

teabreak and KIAB like this.