Using acrylic over existing old gloss oil paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by joen14, Mar 24, 2017.

1. joen14

joen14 New Member

Hi,

I'm currently decorating my hall and I would like some advise on a few topics.

My stair rail and banisters together with the window seals are currently coated in an old gloss oil paint. I'm wanting to cover these with an acrylic eggshell and would like some guidance on what primer / undercoat to use prior to the top coat.

I'm aware I will have to sand the surface of the existing paint, but what grade would be suitable? Is there a recommended primer / undercoat to use, I was looking at the 'Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3'. Or would something like Leyland trade acrylic primer/undercoat be sufficient?

And also, would the Leyland acrylic eggshell be recommended? Or is there something better suited?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A good rub over with 120/ 150 grit would do the job, Acrylic Eggshell is self undercoating so apply 2 coats, an undercoat is recommended if you are changing colour say from white to blue but should it be white over white you will be fine. Just been using Dulux Trade Quick Drying Satinwood on a whole house......well impressed with the finish.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Just to add to above comment re Dulux Trade water based Satinwood from Astra :rolleyes:;

Picked up a tin of this last week as got loads of woodwork at home that needs a flick over !
    It's all in good condition and previously painted with Dulux oil Satinwood, just now yellowed

Well I've tried a few of these quick dry water based paints and found, as a diy'er, difficult to get on with, difficult to brush out, difficult to end up with few brush marks, ok on small trims but a flat door....... difficult

However..... this Satinwood behaves like an oil based paint in my mind. Flows out lovely, settles down leaving no brush marks as long as you don't over work it. Get it on, brush out/flatten off (whatever you call it) and leave alone..... let the paint work it's magic and brush marks will simply vanish

I guess will stay white as well as no oil ? But is it as tough and will it resist knocks as well as oil based ?

Astra, what you recon my good fellow :)

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Water based paints has moved on rapidly over a few years and are now far superior than the water based acrylic paints available only a reasonable short while ago, yes the early ones were prone to chipping but I can honestly say that is much a thing of the past now, thorough preparation is a must and of course and a decent paint. I have used the Dulux Diamond Satinwood and Eggshell Quick Dry paints in offices, commercial and private properties since the 2010 VOC changes and over 7 years of use it has improved vastly in opacity, flow and durability. I only use Purdy brushes with these paints as I believe does also aid a superior finish.

KIAB likes this.
  5. harryprice17

harryprice17 New Member

Modern water-based (in my opinion) seem to now better the old-Oil based paints avaliable.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I use wet and dry.. Wet... 120 grade to keep dust down. Zinsser bin undercoat as it dries in 2 hours and don't half stick. I can't use dulux quick drying satinwood or eggshell, even when warmed up prior. Just impossible to spread. Johnstones is the stuff to use. Waterbased Undercoat is ok but unless you rub down well it won't stick.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cobblers! you are talking from you're arris, but you are entitled to an opinion.:p:D

KIAB likes this.
  8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I do wash down but unless it's really clean and sanded I don't trust waterbased undercoat over old gloss. Maybe I should but I base my opinion on a scratch test. Maybe I'm to fussy as a rep said its fine and will stick well. I have used but like I said. Easily scratched clean off. Guess that's the nature of it.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It will scratch off, however the paint needs 5-7 days to fully cure though, Zinsser Bullseye 123 suffers the same curse.

10. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Tried Johnston's acrylic on F and B dead flat oil with decent rubbing down and it literally dropped off! I guess I will have to belt sand it off and start again!! uhhh! :(

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

F & B won't stick to F & B!o_O:D:D