Using danish oil on worktop ?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Aug 5, 2008.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I have re oiled my oak worktops after sanding them down and it seems a bit sticky, why is this ?
    I used Ronseal danish oil and give it all 3 coats,rubbing well in and removing excess, leaving each coat over night to dry, its been weeks now and some parts are still tacky, it was all sanded down to bare oak ? thanks

2. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

dvddvd,

A possible reason:

Did you do your best to extract any previous treatments by using a solvent in combination with rags and steel wool? Residues of the previous treatment may be affecting the drying of your new treatment. White spirit may be good enough for some treatments but a solvent such as acetone may be required to achieve a satisfactory standard of cleaning out, especially if wax is present. Sanding alone will not remove the residue of the old treatment.

It may be best to start again and thoroughly prepare the worktops as if from scratch.

Wear a good quality respirator when using acetone, it is a very strong solvent. And remember to do a test area where it is least noticeable before embarking on the whole of the worktops.

3. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

It is reacting with previous finishes as suggested above. Back to square one I'm afraid!

4. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

PS

You can experience the same problem with very greasy or oily wood, same treatment. Scrub the surface with the solvent and wire wool then wash with the same solvent. Don't let acetone come into contact with any other surface.

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

..especially plastics or paint!

6. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

When I first did the worktop, I rubbed the oil in and removed excess oil. I have seen worktops done before with danish oil and they seem to have a very satin /flat finish, but when I did mine it just looked like it had been varnished with a normal varnish, it was quite yellowy and had a high build up on it ?

7. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Doesnt sound like Danish oil to me. Danish usually starts to soak in quite quickly and when you wipe the excess of it will start to look flat fairly soon.

8. jcts

jcts Active Member

danish oil is a very nice way to finish wood off

9. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

What brand danish oil?

It is normally very good stuff.