Using imperial copper tube

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by hopefulBuilder, Nov 28, 2014.

1. I have about 50m of salvaged imperial (3/4 inch) copper tube. (I only noticed it was not 22mm when a soldered joint leaked when tested -- and it's years since that happened to me). Some extra solder fixed it but then I measured the tube and it is 21mm; which explains it.

It seems a shame not to use the tube. I could get lots of imperial to metric connectors. Or maybe use compression fittings? But I can forsee ways that things could go wrong in future, and it's added complication.

Should I just throw it away (recycle)?

What would you advise?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It'll have a very good scrap value.

£3500/4000 per ton.

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Weigh it in, convert copper to pounds, the old imperial stuff was also thicker than the metric we use now so added weight.

hopefulBuilder likes this.
  4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'd use it, what you get in scrap price won't cover the cost of new 22mm tube and think of the fun you'll give other people who work on your jobs in the future :):):)

5. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

I'd definitely use it provided that it is clean (especially inside). 3/4" x 22mm ef are as cheap as chips. If dirty / contaminated inside then weigh it in. Shame the law change means that weigh in is all now accountable.

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

and do you know what REALLY pizzs me off about that, the gypo's, they very people who they made it law not to pay cash anymore for because of the stealing of everything that's not guarded, can still get paid cash, they claim its discrimination to pay them in cheques or transfere cos they can't have a bank account on account of no fixed address, :mad:

7. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

I didn't know that they were exempt,bloody hell you couldn't make it up.:(

8. The good old days.....

In this 1955 house, they even used 3/4" thick wall copper for the overflow pipe from loft down to exit on first floor, and for all the hot and cold water to kitchen and bathroom. Even though mains water into house is 1/2 inch.
    Must have run out of 1/2inch :) :)

9. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Iron is down to £100 / ton now, cannot give it away for that. Good thing I suppose is that the Pikeys seem to have vanished now. Is that really true TP? I'll give that a try next time at our local scrappy next visit if so.
    PS - never weigh in during December, they always lower the prices as loads of firms weigh in for the Xmas bonus.

10. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Builder friend of mine was doing a job up nr London a couple of years ago and the pikeys asked if they had any scrap and he said no like you do,he then told me they drove down the road a bit further then stopped outside another house,that's when one of them jumped out of the transit went in this garden grapped a child's bike that had been left out and chucked it on the truck and drove off.
    W@ANKERS!!!! Makes me sick.:(