Using leftover oak for upstand

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Andyrattle, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Andyrattle

Andyrattle New Member

What would be the best saw to use to cut leftover 40mm thick solid oak worktop into 70mm strips and then in half to 20mm thickness for an upstand? or any suggestions where to take it?

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Where in the country are you Andy?

3. Andyrattle

Andyrattle New Member

sorry yeah, I'm in norwich, norfolk

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Local carpenters/joiners workshop or someone else with a circular saw bench and a thicknesser.

Andyrattle likes this.
  5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

DIY-wise, I'd slice it down the centre first with power saw(180mm blade needed) to 75mm deep. Not forgetting you'll lose say 4mm width for the blade cut. If you wish to profile the edge, I'd do that now with router(you will need to decide for water run-off-whatever). Then cut the whole 70mm bit off. Two pieces, 18mmx70mm, done.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Andyrattle likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I would think that if the OP had a table saw he would know how to use one and wouldn't be posting this question. :):)

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Surely you don't want worktop as an upstand? The sectional look will cheap imo.

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Will look cheap.

9. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Will look cheap and nasty.

10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

ANyone will know you just whacked a slice of work top instead of using a decent oak plank.

When you finish with getting it sawed will cost you more probably.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Only if you made it Ry.

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

You might be right. [​IMG]

13. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Perhaps buy some wooden skirting and stain to match? Simples o_O

14. metrokitchens

Although I would quite like the look of upstand from the worktop. If it is the usual 25mm staves stuff I think you could make it 100mm high and the pattern from the top would look good rising up the wall. I would have it 12mm thick with a square profile assuming that the worktop has a square profile.
    Just my 2p worth.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A "standard" table saw generally only cuts up to about 80mm, although you could pass it through the saw twice this may involve removing the riving knife if the safety cover is attached to it, health and safety yada yada.

16. metrokitchens

my flip over had the safety cover removed the day i got it. the safety cover is also fixed up when in chop saw mode also. gotta keep a perfect view for a perfect finish. i do unplug it every time i am not by it though.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

And that's why flip overs aren't allowed to be used commercially any more ;);)

18. metrokitchens

Ah, I was in a big pro tool shop in hanwell, west london the other day and wondered why there were loads of chop saws and table saws but not one flip over. I hope my Elu lasts forever.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I got my flip over free from a workshop that had to get rid of it, happy days. :D:D:D

metrokitchens likes this.
  20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I have used offcuts, sink blanks etc to do upstands loads before and in the right property it looks really good.

I have done splash backs aswell by putting it throught my thicknesser and jointing it.

Its a good little upsell when you do a fit. Often they haven't got a tiler lined up and you can suggest using the offcuts instead of tile.

I have also done block oak tops with single piece upstands and it often looks a bit odd.

If you have good quality tops, I get mine off Worktop Express then its a neat way to finish it off.

And of course the upstands and splashback match the tops exactly.

On a minimalistic property it looks sharp.

Done one in AB Walnut and had cream cabinets and cream walls and it made the tops and upstands a real focal point.

metrokitchens likes this.