Using leftover oak for upstand

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Andyrattle, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Andyrattle

Andyrattle New Member

I have already had some roughly cut at a sawmill but its not neat enough I wondered if there was something would do a neater job. I think it looks pretty good and don't really see how its any different to the stuff wickes sell at £45 for 3 metres. (I needs 11 metres). I could be wrong though ill try to post a photo. Thanks for the replys.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You put the rough edge against the wall.

3. Andyrattle

Andyrattle New Member

image.jpg image.jpg
    Photos are on the side but you get the idea. This is about the best of the cuts just layed in place it looks good but a lot of the other planks are rougher than this.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I can't see the problem.

5. Andyrattle

Andyrattle New Member

I have loads more worktop left to play with that's why even though ive had a load cut I was wondering if there's a better way. The planks I have are quite varied in quality of cut.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Rip these offcuts down to 70x18?

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Put them through a thicknesser.

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

A thickneser machine would be good. Or you could buy ready thicknessed timber.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Blimey, no. Standard Circular saw.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If you are trying to use the offcuts of worktop to create the upstands in order to match the worktops then they would need to be ripped down to rough size and then thicknessed for the best results.

Any good workshop will do it for a bit of beer money and a couple of bacon rolls on a Saturday morning. To convert a load of leftover oak tops into 11m of upstand I would charge say £50 and it would take an hour or so.

Andyrattle likes this.
  11. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

spot on GoldenBalls

12. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

good grain and patina match. its your home so up to you. maybe a good rub down will be enough.

13. Andyrattle

Andyrattle New Member

Cheers all
    I think I will ask around some other sawmills see if any are confident if a good finish