Using Multi Tool For Grout Removal

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by JP., Jul 16, 2017.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Afternoon guys. Just had a job to replace two tiles at the bottom of my shower cubicle and the hardest part was raking out the old tile grout before removing the tiles (grout removed to stop adjacent tiles cracking) I was just wondering if any of you have used a multi tool with grout removal attachment? and if you have was it any good at doing the job? Thanks guys.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yes. It's good. Used on floor and wall tiles with no problems. Works better than I expected. Was a cheap homebase multi saw and screwfix own brand diamond blade.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Mr W - I think I will buy one of those multi tools as removing the old grout with one of those grout scrapers was a joke tbqh - the grout scraper was nigh on useless.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not a fan of Erbauer myself, you got any other cordless tools?

Want some good blades, then Saxton blades are hard to beat.

http://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Mr K - yes I have clocked that Saxton website and that is where I will buy the blades from. My cordless tools are all Bosch Blue, as are most of my corded - however the Bosch Multi Tool did seem a tad expensive as opposed to the Erbauer and similar. I could purchase a Bosch 12v one (takes also the 10.5v packs) bare, but with two large cap batteries that would really make it expensive..and the Bosch star couplings are not compatible with the Saxton blade fitments.

I mean if I was using it day in and day out then of course the Bosch Blue (pro) would be my immediate choice, but I will only use the Multi Tool now and then..what do you think Mr K?

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Not sure how long a cordless multi saw will go on a battery. Took me all morning to do a hall floor with a mains powered one

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Is that laying a laminated floor Mr K? I bet they are really handy for doing that.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Once you got a multi tool, you will find endless uses for one.

As for Erbauer, well there no spares for them, no spare batteries available, a friend bought one about 2 years ago, batteries are dying, can't get any replacements.

In the long run I think your better off with corded model,as I think you will struggle with a battery one.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For grout you can use a steamer with a small nozzle attachment, then drag the soft grout out with anything that fits(flat screwdriver?)

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I'm only diy so have the Bosch green (diy level) multi tool - brilliant piece of kit. Was £100 when I got it few years ago but now around £70 I think

Once you have a multi tool, you just find so many jobs that it can perform where you think 'what other tool would do this job'

Have removed grout from 2 shower cubicals over the years with the multi tool and it performed brilliantly. Got corded version as with prolonged use, battery life won't last and with the budget end of market, batteries are usually built in to tool so can't have 2 batteries with one on charge

Couple points when using for grout removal;

Keep blade straight on to tile when removing grout or you risk chipping the edge / face of tile

The grout removal blades (carbide) are usually circular which are fine for the majority of use.Gives you several angles of attack and can turn blade round as it wears out. These blades aren't so good where tiles meets shower tray or ceiling. Straight edge carbide blade is the jobbie here - not so readily available but stocked by Saxon Blades

12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Got a Milwaukee multitool free from howdens class bit of kit

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Not of its cement based grout. Guess this may work on walls with some grouts though. Maybe.

14. Misde-Meanor

Misde-Meanor Member

I tried using a muti tool (Lidl brand) with Saxton blades and it was a disaster, i damaged more than a few tiles in the kitchen and ended up going back to doing it manually with a grout rake. To be fair though, the grout in my kitchen was odd stuff, very rubbery as opposed to the more powdery composition of the stuff in the bathroom plus i am a woman with not a lot of a strength so felt i wasn't using the multi tool properly.

Like others have said, you will find uses for the multi tool, like recently i need to take a wee skliff off of a upvc window cill and this did the trick as i couldn't get anything else into the gap between the wall and cill :)

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What's being a woman got to do with it,load of tosh,your just as capable, it's all down to technique, some good guides on Youtube.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Does your multi tool have a speed adjustment on it as it may of required to be set at a lower setting.

KIAB likes this.
  17. Misde-Meanor

Misde-Meanor Member

You may be right but i am very lightweight and felt i couldn't get my strength behind the tool to aid the blade into the grout for removal.

Yes @Astramax , it does have a speed adjustment and i went into it a bit gun ho i guess, what's that phrase "less haste, more speed" i should have remembered that one when i started it and i may not have had to replace half a dozen tiles.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

In this case 'less haste' and 'less speed'! :p:p:D

KIAB likes this.
  19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No need to get your weight behind it, to much force & the tool can't work correctly, just hold tool firmly & it's weight is enough for it to remove the grout at it's own pace.

Astramax likes this.