Using tannalised timber which is not fully dry

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by SHR123, Nov 15, 2015.

1. SHR123

SHR123 New Member

Hi
    Possibly a silly question for you experts. I need to fix some wood between several joists in my loft so that i can screw the cracked plasterboard ceiling to it before it gets plastered. I bought tannalised 4 x 2 but this doesn't seem to be that dry. Can I use it now or is it likely to shrink too much as it dries out over the next few weeks ?
    Thanks
    Stuart

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Fit it but wait a bit till you screw the PB up, it has to season before it is tanalised so it shouldn't shrink much.

3. SHR123

SHR123 New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply Chippie244. It's good to know it wont shrink too much. I'll fit it as you suggest and screw the plasterboard to it just before the plasterer arrives. Thanks for the good advice.
    Cheers
    Stuart

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You're welcome.

5. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Why are you using tannalised timber for inside your house??

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why are you replying to every post?

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Structural Tannalised timber has a lot of advantages over standard timber. Greater resistance from rot, mold, insects and what I buy locally to me is of better quality than untreated and only costs a few pence more

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did Not Realise until you mentioned it!

9. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

SHR, give yourself a chance when you're screwing the pb up and put the 4x2 noggins on their side so that you're screwing into the wider section. Easier to hit if you're an old dodderer like me.

10. SHR123

SHR123 New Member

Thank you Vivaro man i'll do that - need all the advantages I can get!
    Cheers
    Stuart