utterly confused with CLS timber sizes

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tehvlb, May 17, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Nominal size 47 x 100mm is the size before its regularised, then it becomes 45 x 95.

2. tehvlb

tehvlb Member

DOH!!!!!

3. tehvlb

tehvlb Member

£2.40 for a 2.4m length of 2x4?

**** me that is cheap.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yeh my local is £1.50 + VAT per meter now for 2x4 CLS treated.

5. tehvlb

tehvlb Member

what the actual ****, is that a trade discount mate?

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Attached Files:

7. tehvlb

tehvlb Member

brutal

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Around £2.40, can't remember exactly, plus with a trade card and buying 20 lengths minimum in 1 hit, and was a while ago !!!

Apart from that ..... yeah cheap indeed :)

9. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I got a good deal from travis perkins one january, nigh on 5 years ago. a variety of standard sizings that they wanted to clear, and it just happened to coincide with a biggish job. but come february it was back up to full price again. so you always need to shop about by habit.
    for most timber merchants you don't get a significant discount until you order at least 100 ft or 33m.

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I ordered 250m last year...prices are what they are at my local. Cheap enough anyway, don't need a discount!

I would think if a merchant is giving a significant discount on larger orders, it goes to show their standard prices are over inflated.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yes and no, some diminishes of an inch get a bit silly, 64ths anyone? :confused: I use both imperial and metric though, most of the time it's what your eye is drawn to quicker, however if I'm doing kitchens or tiling, then it's always metric for me. But the building trade is still very mixed up with both systems, doors a good example of imperial, bricklaying metric. But I find younger trades or dullards seem to struggle with imperial as they can't do fractions or multiplication without the calculator on their mobile phone. :confused: