Vacuum Recommendations

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by steeeb, Feb 23, 2017.

1. steeeb

steeeb New Member

Hi

Going to be doing a lot of building work over the coming months so need a good vac.

Is Henry still the goto? Looking around £80-100 and going to be using it after building work also but needs to be able to get rid of dust etc easily and tackle cleaning up plaster perhaps a bit of brick debree redecorating etc.

Thanks

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Henry has been doing the job for me for years... I got a reuseable bag for mine and it works really well.

Only downside of the recent models is the power is restricted unless you press the high power button every time you use it.

With the old ones you could set it to high power permanently and forget it...

steeeb likes this.
  3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Yeah my Henry been great for the price can't fault it

steeeb likes this.
  4. steeeb

steeeb New Member

TITAN TTB350VAC 1300W 16LTR WET & DRY VACUUM CLEANER 240V

36.99 from Screwfix... hmmm maybe might try this as long as it last for building work might be best bet for me

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

LIDLs/ALDI do a great "shop" vacuum. Stainless steel 23l, wet and dry and has a socket for power tools, 3 year warranty about £40

upload_2017-2-23_22-27-20.png

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Trusty old Henry is my go-to. Mines taken everything from brick dust to cat hairs, without any issues.

Might be worth looking on eBay for the older models, as the newer ones have a shorter hose to make up for the reduced wattage.

7. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Henry lives in my Van. The old model though with the aforementioned high power.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I used my Henry for unblocking drains which is why it sounds a bit poorly now.

9. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Another vote for henry as well :) you can pick one up for like 25-30 from fleabay/gumtree. Bags are like 6pounds for 20 so I don't even bother getting a reusable one, If I'm out bags I can just stick my finger in a full bag and wiggle the contents out to make room for more **** :D
    + It's very quiet as well! No other vacuum under 100 will be as quiet as henry.
    Just get an used one for few notes and you are sorted!

DO NOT GET THOSE TITAN ONES! they are absolute garbage, as In the build quality is the same of a garbage can + they are soooo noisy!
    There's no competition against an used henry for 35 vs New titan for 35.

10. steeeb

steeeb New Member

Thanks everyone. Henry it is :)

11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Always find that useful ... plug in the router or saw and it automatically switches the suction on.

12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I know you've made your decision but you can take some additional comfort from the fact that virtually every contract cleaning company in the UK equips their staff with Henrys - that says so much I think.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

With paper bags you can reuse them,cut bottom off bag, fold over & slip on plastic strip with a split along it's length, can use quite a few times.
    On my Makita vac I use a giant wide bulldog clip to seal end of bag.

14. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

I bought one of the titans and have to say it has been nothing but totally reliable. Drained F&E tanks. Cleared a room of plaster dust and chunks- it did have a wee hiccup with this but that was only because I blocked the hose. I even used it two nights ago to hoover up my wee girls vomit- all ends up in the stainless steel tank which does resemble a dustbin but that is essentially it's purpose isn't it. I do like henry's but in all honesty would you be able to look it in the eyes after you have made it suck up vomit...the titan doesn't care