vaillant boilers.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by tom.plum, May 3, 2012.

1. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

anyone fitted a new vaillent recently, acustomer insisted on having one, somebody she knew had one and its brill blah blah blah, a sheet metal bracket holds them up,you can't plumb the pipes throu the top, the connectors are fiddley and starting them ups a nightmare, Its like setting the old video tape recorders, and I never managed that,I had to come away, I'll try again tomorrow, thats the last vaillent I'll fix, back to baxi,

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

My heart goes out to you Tompus. Sadly, the customer is always right these days.  I had someone the other month wanting a "top quality" ??? Wickes "Miami" kitchen fitting. It's the cheapest entry range kitchen in the whole of the UK. Screws used to assemble the units , show on the ends. It's cheap.. It's nasty,,, and would probably make a great bonfire. Even Vance Millers offerings are better (and that's saying something) ;)

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Hi Lucy, yea they're easy to wire, but this a new thing with um, a digital installers program, setting the max temp, gas pressure, water temp and not explained well enough for the average englander, which all adds up to unnesseccary time wasting activity, conjured up by the carbon footprint abatement society in the name of 'comfort and econemy', PPPPFFFTTTTTT,

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

oh forgot to say, its a ecotec pro 28, mit plugin tickometer, yavull

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Now that i've got the boiler up and running, I find it very hard to come up with any specific details of why I don't like them, its true they are quiet,efficient,pleasing to look at ( in a german sort of way), and well set out under the hood, So why they have to have a confusing control system , I don't know, for instance to set the heating temp you need to press the right top button twice, then push the bottom left button till you see the desired temp, on a baxi, you just turn a knob,
    with the later model that I have fitted, there is a installer level, where the installer, in this case me, has to fix the temp parimeters to the level I see will work for that particular dwelling,( as though I'm psycik ) so the client can not go outside that temp,  for instance if I set a max temp of 50 degrees, the householder can not turn his/her heating above that, simalarly with 't water temp.
    Also the symbols, I think I understand the 'ladder' symbol, but whats 'top hat' symbol for, I have't work out either where or why they refer to 'chimney sweep' setting and controls,
    Other complications are, the manual at ever opertunity mentions 'death', death by gassing, death by electrictution, death by lifting on your own, death by breathing poisonous fumes, It obvious they have't gotton over the war yet,
    In conclusion, I would recommend the boiler if the writer of the manual was to rewrite it useing an English person, preferably a heating engineer to guide him,
    marks( no pun intended) out of ten , 9 1/2, for boiler, 2 out of 10 for controls, 2 out of ten for the manual,

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Showing you (old) age Thomas ;)

You'll be moaning about your Sky Box next

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

sky box ? whats one of them , freeview only here captain, and even thats a load of rubbish, thats why I'm on here most of the time with you guys, and gal, :)

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I alwasy think that the more complicated the controls for anything (boilers included), there's just more to go wrong with the damn things. My computer used to have a wireless keyboard and mouse. So if keyboard or mouse stopped working, you knew the first thing to look at were the batteries. After a few years  the keyboard stopped working. Replacing the batteries didn't work, so I thought it must be the keyboard.. Nah, it was the wireless receiver that had packed up.
    I had a car that used a potentiometer on the accelerator to control the fuel injection system. God knows what to do if it had problems. What happened to a cable going from the pedal to the injection unit? At least if the cable broke, you could replace it. Next thing they'll have on cars is a drive by wire system where the steering wheel isn't directly connected to the steering rack. A computer is going to control servo's attached to the wheels to turn them in response to movement of the steering wheel. (you wouldn't want that to pack up at 70mph on the motorway, would you? )
    As for't Sky Boxes/ Set top boxes etc,, I usually invite one of me grandkids round to set them up for me. The 7 yr old one is a whizz with all sorts of technology. (he can even work the microwave oven) ;)

9. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Well JJ, my microwave oven needs working at?   Can you send him (the 7yr old) round? You're welcome to accompanying him if you're suspicious of my motives

The missus went out and bought a replacement, but it's yuseless   Good thing I kept the auld one in the garage. I must sort out that 'Wave Guide Plate'. I doubt a 7 yr auld will be much help there? They might take the opportunity to blow the whole thing apparat.

10. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

The Remeha's have a similar "software" set up - but the manual is superb and I had no trouble. Great boiler to install.

diymosthings

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

thats cos the remeha's a baxi, english through and through, they've not got a ,raw egg in milk swillin' sun lounger grabbin'fat german gestapo interprter, clouding the normally clear thinking english installer,

12. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

"Clear thinkin'  "   after how many pints?

13. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

"thats cos the remeha's a baxi," Only in name Tom.Plum. They have quite different "innards" and operating parameters as per the Pottertons, and Main are also different. Although part of the same group they are allowed to market their original designs under their original badge (according to the "Baxi" man at  PHEX).

diymostthings

14. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Everyone seems to get this wrong.:eek:  Remeha own the Baxi Group, not the other way round.

15. gib.son

gib.son New Member

remeha, did't buy baxi as a tax right off, there is a reason,,,go figure ;)