Valient VRC400 with Weather Compensator and HIVE Home

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Robert Clegg, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Robert Clegg

Robert Clegg New Member

HI, I wonder if you can help. I have just moved into a house and it has a rather complicated boiler installed a VRC400. It also seems to have the Weather Compensator module. I am just getting my head around that now.

This might be a too specific question but I wondered if anyone can help..

My question is: I had Hive at my previous home which worked very well for me and I was going to install at this new house too - however now I have seen the weather compensation module I assume that these two technologies would fight each other rather then compliment each other? Do you know if they can work together in harmony or is it either/or? thank for your help anyone?

Also if anyone is an expert on this module is there an inside temperature monitor somewhere and if so what does it look like?

thanks

Rob

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Robert Clegg

Robert Clegg New Member

Thank you for the response and finding the manual for me. I will return Hive back to Amazon then.

Boiler is in Garage so not sure room sensor much use in there if that is the case? Seems odd it doesn't have a sensor in a similar area to where a Thermostat would be. Looks like waiting for winter and seeing how cold we are :-|

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There is a extenal sensor which is connect by a cable to the boiler,& a module which plugs into boiler, can't remember exactly as I have the VCR470F which is the wireless version & I find very good.

VCR 470 Installation manual:

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/downloads/vrc-470-installation-manual-261428.pdf

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/products/vrc-470-compensating-boiler-control-1920.html

There is a newer system of weather compensator called Vaillant vSmart,which allow your boiler to be controlled by your phone.

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/installers/products/vsmart/content-detail-page-14-559171.html

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Depending on which boiler you have.The Hive can be fitted but the vrc400 has to be disconnected in the boiler wiring area,the wall unit removed, the redundant external sensor/wiring can be left in position.

Done a few jobs where new house owners could not get on with auto weather compensation systems,so we fitted a traditional room thermostat and programmer.

Vaillant have their own wifi thermostat system called Vsmart depending on which boiler you have and your current set up it's a straight forward install even diy able.

The Vsmart would be my first choice.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Robert Clegg

Robert Clegg New Member

Thank you - I am a total novice I thought my boiler was the VRC400 but realise now it isn't

The boiler is an ECOTEC 618. It is gas - not a combi so does that make it a system boiler - and feeds a large pressurised water tank next to it..

I like the idea of installing the VSmart but sounds scary...

8. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

The control unit's internal temperature sensor is disabled if it is mounted in the front of the boiler. You could install it in the house and connect it to the boiler using a 2-core cable. The internal sensor would then work. However, all the sensor does is tell you the current room temperature; it doesn't tell the boiler to turn on/off if the temperature is below/above the required temperature; that is down to the weather compensation.

Weather compensation only works correctly if it has been set up properly; which can be a time consuming job.

9. Robert Clegg

Robert Clegg New Member

You guys are amazing and scaring me.. I will do a bit more looking at setup and see what I want to do.. Just hope I haven't messed up any settings looking through menus..