Van advice needed?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by irwaller, Aug 30, 2016.

1. irwaller

irwaller New Member

Im after a bit of advice about what can is best out there. I'm a plumbing and heating engineer. After a middle sized van and want something relatively new (2/3years old) I'm interested in the ford transit custom and the Renault traffic/Vauxhall Vivaro. Which is the best to go for? Or are there any others? Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Get a transit mate, I really regret not getting one, I opted for the vivaro instead, bloody temperamental useless terrible French design, the trafic, vivaro and Nissan primastar are all exactly the same, poor. And there's a design fault on the models up to 2013(I think) whereby when it rains the seals to stop the water getting under the bonnet are defective and the injectors get seized up, if you type in 'vivaro injector problems' on a search engine the internet is awash with stories. The vw transporters and Mercedes Vito are also top vans to consider, but also command top dollar sadly. Best all rounder for me would be the transit.

irwaller likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't disagree with that list of three by Jord.

Transit
    Mercedes Vito
    VW Transporter

irwaller likes this.
  5. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

VW transporter bit more expensive to buy but hold there money bullet proof great vans,
    parts and servicing bit on the dear side, 1 have had 4 of them i love them
    my 3rd one blew its turbo at 5 years old when it had done 380,000 miles.
    That took the engine out, but it still sold for a fair price people love them,
    or could you get away with a long wheel base VW caddy

irwaller likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Had a transit connect for a few years, loads of niggly problems including a door falling off! Not as good as its big brother

irwaller likes this.
  7. irwaller

irwaller New Member

I know what you're saying mate. VW has a great reputation. Only problem is that I'm just starting out and having to keep any eye on the budget. After something fairly new with some warranty. Definetley won't rule the VW range out in the future though!

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have you thought about leasing rather than buying ? It has some tax advantages over purchase and writing down

9. darren jackson

darren jackson Active Member

good call sospan, leasing or contract hire there are a few companies out there that do this on preowned vehicles

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Even new on the Ford website £1,300 down then £220 a month plus there are better tax advantages upload_2016-8-31_23-44-1.png

11. irwaller

irwaller New Member

What are the cons of leasing? I'm careful with the company van I use now but still can't avoid the odd scrape etc.... Does that go against you when you return it? Also isn't there usually a maximum mileage allowance? Unless the monthly price is bumped up?

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have a look at all the options on here http://www.vanarama.co.uk/finance-info/van-finance-options.html

irwaller likes this.
  13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I bought vw transporter great van which am now converting vw do there own 0% lease which you can either keep van or exchange when terms are up you can set your payment plan depending on size of deposit, I now have Renault master which I hate am gonna part ex it for vw crafter