Variac

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Bought a cheapo (£35) 2kva Chinese second hand variac. Plugged in a few solid state things but all that happens is the screen/printer/cd burner tower turns off when the voltage gets below about 50v. Might make an adaptor so I can plug in the vacuum cleaner speed up and slow down. Then I'll put it in the attic and forget about it...

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's what i'd expect to happen Col, what were you hoping for?

3. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Try one like this:

4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Havent heard that name in years....
    seen them made in
    ...The Zenith Electric Company, Zenith Works, Villiers Road. Willesden Green, London, N.W.2.
    Brings back memories....
    RS

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

That Andy is one crazy fella. Haven't watched his videos in years but I don't know how he's still alive...

6. TonyS

TonyS New Member

Just remember the output current is a max of 8A. The lower the O/P voltage the lower the VA rating.

Coloumb likes this.
  7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I kinda thought the screen might dim in a half-assed kinda way, but yea. Did the vacuum cleaner trick and made my heat shrink gun slow down. Dunna what to do next really.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

What were you wanting to use it for then Col? I used a variac regularly when I was in the TV repair trade, it was very necessary when fault finding on switch-mode power supplies etc. If there was a fault in the drive or regulator circuits for instance putting full mains volts on could instantly blow up the regulator transistors and line output stage components but winding-up the supply with a variac would enable faults to be traced without blowing it all up again!