Varnish over Danish oil?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by macaulay, May 21, 2008.

1. macaulay

macaulay New Member

I'ved put a Sapele threshold in for a sliding door. Before installing I gave it a couple of applications of Danish oil. I was going to apply a couple more after the door was in before caulking. Now I've realised that a yacht varnish might be more durable.

Will the varnish take over the oil? I assume I'd need to sand the surface layer of oil off, clean with white spirits etc. I've got Rustins yacht varnish.

Any help greatly appreciated.

cheers

Malcolm

2. macaulay

macaulay New Member

Sorry, should have mentioned that the sapele is the exterior half of the threshold.

cheers

Malcolm

3. Splinters

Splinters New Member

Suspect the varnish will take very long time to dry. I'd email their technical guys via the Rustins website: rustins.co.uk

Hope this helps.

4. DeadlyD

DeadlyD New Member

I'm assuming you know this already but if the varnish is water based, then no, not a chance (well maybe, but I wouldn't chance it). If they're both oil based, then shouldn't be a problem; just sand and clean the danish oil as best you can.

5. macaulay

macaulay New Member

Thanks Splinters and DD.

I took the advice and called Rustins. The lady on the phone said yes it was OK. Which fits in with what DD said; they're both oil-based.

The Danish oil has given the wood a lovely colour and first coat of varnish goes on shortly.

Thanks for your help.

cheers

Malcolm