Varnish Removal from Oak?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by flh76, Jul 28, 2015.

1. flh76

flh76 New Member

Hi everyone, I have stumbled across this site whilst trying to find out if its possible to remove varnish from oak and hoping you someone might be able to offer me some advice please. I have just had lovely solid oak door linings and oak veneer doors and architrave in me house, which I was over the moon with as my carpenter had done a fantastic job and the oak was a lovely light natural colour. My decorater then came in and has used a natural oak varnish rather than clear so i am now left with all my lovely light oak looking shiny and a bit orange I am devastated! Is there anything that can be done to reverse this or am I stuck with shiny and orange!? Thank you very much for any advice, (other than wringing my decoraters neck!) id be so grateful.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Take great care as since 2010 VOC's became the law solvent based woodstripping gels are no longer available, these have been replaced by water based gels, although not a bad thing for the environment water and oak don't mix to well and could leave black marks all over your new oak. These black marks can be successfully removed using a commercial wood bleach. Perhaps the way forward would be using a hot air gun and wood scraping blades, tedious I know, your decorator should as you mentioned used a clear varnish, not shiny but with a satin finish. As the varnish is fresh it should come off without too much effort.

3. Solid oak architrave coated with a coloured varnish?

Oh gawd...

flh76 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Oh dear...:(

Chemical/solvent strippers may stain the oak.

Should have left clear instructions with your decorator.

P:S: Astra, I didn't think you could remove varnish with a heat gun

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

P:S: Astra, I didn't think you could remove varnish with a heat gun[/QUOTE]

Think again ;)

6. flh76

flh76 New Member

Thanks all for your replies. Oh gawd indeed!!!! I Can't quite believe the decorator made such a mistake although he's still adamant he used clear!!! Im now really nervous about doing anything using stripping etc to the oak seeing all your comments. Is sanding an option at all?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Solvent based yes, but water based I had a lot of grief trying to remove it.

8. Flh, ooookkkaaaayyyyy - you want to remove this coloured varnish from the doors as well as the surrounding archi?

I can't think of any simple way to do that. Whatever method you use will be a complete 'mare.

Chemical strippers will probably do it. Heat will probably do it. Removing it and dipping it will probably do it (although your veneer doors will be wrecked...). Sanding will probably do it.

But none of these will do it easily.

Anything can be done, but it will be a hellish job. HELLISH. I wouldn't wish that on even Ry or Proby (don't ask - it's a long story :rolleyes: )

I am concerned that your decorator claims he used clear varnish. Is he fibbing? Trying it on? Confused? Are you sure he used coloured varnish?

If so, there's the solution - he is liable. But it'll be a hellish one to sort. I doubt you could force him to replace it all, but he certainly shouldn't be looking to be paid for the work...

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What manufacturers varnish was used and is the varnish water based (quick drying acrylic) or solvent based as I couldn't see that mentioned?

10. flh76

flh76 New Member

Fibbing? Yep! I'd say, the Decorator says he was convinced he used clear but he has 100% used B&q natural oak varnish, it's water based, which is just such a shame as the natural Oak finish is gorgeous and the clear finish would have just made it look even more lovely which is why I choose oak, but now it's just too shiny and dark. Almost no point in me having oak done now he's mucked it up. But from your replies it seems like i may be stuck with it seeing as it's going to be a mare to reverse?!

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Water based,...............further research required for the varnish to be removed with success!

12. Since you know the exact product, best thing to do, I think, is to contact the manufactures and ask them what the best removal method is.

But I doubt very much it'll be a simple job. Is your architrave an ogee or similar moulding - ie with narrow grooves and rounded surfaces that'll make sanding a 'mare?

If it's relatively flat, then that would make removal a lot easier.

And the doors - are they flat flush single panels, or do they have inset panels with moulding around each one?

(Any chance of some photos?)

If they are all flat surfaces, then it'll be a LOT more possible. If full of mouldings, then awful.

If it is doable, then the decorator should be the one to do the job.

So, where do you stand in getting this sorted? In theory you can, very easily, force a tradespeep to make good their mistakes or, if they refuse, you can get someone else to do so and then sue the original guy for the cost.

IF you can prove quite clearly that you asked for a clear finish, and IF the solution for making this job good is to strip off the existing coloured coat and apply clear, and IF this turns out to be quite doable - just needing a lot of effort - then you can make him do this, no question.

If he refuses, you can get another decorator to do it instead, pay them for the job, and then sue the original guy. And you will win - no question.

Where it might get complicated is if the 'stripping' job isn't easily doable, and would take an 'unreasonable' amount of time to do. Or, if stripping isn't an option at all, and the only solution is to replace everything. I think you'd find, in these sorts of cases, a judge would decide that it would not be reasonable for the guy to have to spend a month scraping off varnish/ replace everything at the cost of many, many £100's 'just' because he made a simple mistake that didn't affect the finish that much. So he'd probably suggest the guy chust refunds all the money you paid him, and perhaps some additional for your time, hassle, etc etc.

It all comes down to what an impartial person - the judge - sees as being reasonable. For instance, if the guy had painted all your oak in gloss red, then it's clear this would be totally unacceptable to you - and everyone else, so the guy would then be liable for sorting it all. At whatever cost.

So, first things - find out whether it's fixable (manufacturers) and also put a photo on here to see if we can form an opinion as to how 'unacceptable' it is.

(I'm with you - natural oak is one of my fav finishes, and 'yellowed' wood one of my most hated...)