Varnishing Pine Stair Handrail/Spindles

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by SPotter, Apr 3, 2017.

1. SPotter

SPotter New Member

Afternoon,

I have a brand spanking new wood staircase handrail and spindles, which had 1 layer a clear varnish applied.

I really want a darker colour, but am aware now a clear varnish has been added it makes it more tricky to do so, can someone give me some advice on how to achieve this please.

KR

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Go over the clear after a good sanding with the darker colour you want, however you may need at least 3 coats to darken it to the required shade as dark over dark = darker, either that or paint it a solid colour. Try a test piece first.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

On your stairs you will probably find there are several different types of wood. When you apply the stain, you may find that you get slightly different shades on the spindles, stringers and treads.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

OP said he has used a clear varnish over it not a stain so it is now sealed!

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Ah my mistake, read it and your post and assumed they were going to stain, rather than re-varnish