'Vented' unit next to MCBs?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by chamfer, Dec 10, 2016.

1. chamfer

chamfer New Member

Hi all
    I was looking at my consumer unit earlier and there is a block with vents/ridges on it, to the right of the MCBs. Photo attached. Just curious as to what it is? Been searching all over and can't find any info.

Also, I Googled the brand on these, looks like 'ZBS' - I've never heard of it, any pointers?

Thanks

Attached Files:

• cu.jpg
      cu.jpg
      File size:
      66.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

The picture is blurred - a sharper focus would help.

3. The picture is too blurred,but is it a transformer?

4. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Looks like a low voltage transformer/PSU. Do you have any low voltage devices such as lighting, battery backed up escape lighting or low voltage smoke alarm system wired into the DB?

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I think it might be a din rail mounted bell transformer?

fire and Deleted member 11267 like this.
  6. That was my thinking too, but picture is too blurred.

7. fire

fire Well-Known Member

I think you are bang on the mark...

Electric-Bell-Door-BellAC.jpg

seneca likes this.
  8. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

dam i was gonna say doorbell transformer dam that is 1 slim unit (all the 1s i have seen take up at least 2 ways in a db (have saw an old one took up up 4ways)

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Chamfer, there should be a double width switch (aka MAIN SWITCH) on or near the board to isolate it. Is there more of this installation that we cannot see?

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

The @rse with these though is how to make it comply with regs. You can't put bell wire into them. You have to put 230v insulated cable into them and then still have to make off in a JB outside of the CU to the bell wire (I stand/sit to be corrected...).

11. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

could be one of the mcbs (look like mcbs) in the db that controls it can never understand the point of having a light switch under an mcb db for the doorbell anymore (unless regs state it is needed) often felt it would be better near a front door (so at night or on halloween etc) the button can be switched off

12. chamfer

chamfer New Member

You are spot on - it's the doorbell transformer! Thanks guys.

Bazza - there's a separate box below this one, next to the meter. That has just the main switch in it (although it is single width, not a double width RCD etc). Then a cable goes up inside the wall to this consumer unit. This strikes me as a bit of an unusual setup. I've just moved into this place, so I might get a sparkie round to check it out.

On further investigation, it looks like these are XBS C16 MCBs - something which worries me a little, as surely there should be a variety of MCBs with different amps for the lighting etc.? Clearer pic attached.

Attached Files:

13. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

The MCBs should be labelled - giving some indication of the circuit. We can all make guesses as to what they might be, (Could be radials?) but probably best to get a spark round to do an EICR they you will know for sure what everything does and if it is safe.

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Need a picture of the entire setup to even make a guess as to what is going on.
    A board like that could be anything. You need to identify what each of the six do. Switch them off one at a time and see what stops working!
    Need also a pic of this separate box please.