ventilation in 30s house

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by anakin, May 11, 2009.

1. anakin

anakin New Member

Hi

Following on from my query last week about insulation over sloping ceilings, I was wondering about the way the wall bricks run all the way to the sarking, thus preventing air flow from the eaves.

Has anyone has ever tried removing some of these top level bricks and fitting the soffit with ventilation grilles. I don't imagine removing a few would cause a problem but if lots were taken out would it have a cumulative effect on the integrity of the roof, seeing as they don't bear any of the roof weight anyway (being at the top between the rafters.

Or maybe another solution for introducing eaves ventilation in this scenario that doesn't involve relaying the roof tiles?

Thanx in advance for any help

Anakin

2. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

3. anakin

anakin New Member

helpful(not)

Anybody got any constructive help?

4. bigjules

bigjules New Member

IMHO easier to fit tile and ridge vents rather than remove masonry.

5. anakin

anakin New Member

Thanks big

If I go for ventilation tiles (also looking at Lapvent product as a possibility) I was wondering about positioning and numbers.

As I said, my ceilings slope at the eaves, down to the bricks that block them. Would I need to put a ventilator tile between every rafter at the level of the sloping ceiling or would less ventilators higher up be OK? Or would this leave unventilated volumes to suffer condensation ?

Regards

Anakin

6. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Are you sure the wall cavity doesn't vent into the eaves - it does on my 1930's house and a healthy gale blows up it. That's why I haven't stuffed insulation on the loft side of my sloping ceilings - as it would block that airflow.

7. anakin

anakin New Member

Hi Mr G

There is hardly any cavity at all (thats why we couldn't get any cavity insulation pumped) Anyway, the internal wall bricks would block it anyway

But I see what you mean, if there was a decent cavity the air would flow up from the airbricks and I'd be sorted.

Anakin

8. anakin

anakin New Member

How about if I installed airbricks just below the soffit box at regular intervals (how regular?) and managed to clear some of the internal leaf bricks to create a airflow path.

That way, there would be some airflow in what cavity there is to all the eaves areas.

Seem reasonable?