Veritas 8 alarm panel blowing 125mA fuse on mains in

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bazzaNW, Aug 6, 2015.

1. bazzaNW

bazzaNW New Member

Hi,
    I had an Omnicron alarm panel for about 20 years that died on me in March.
    I searched for a replacement and came up with a Veritas 8 which looked like it would be a straight swap with my original cabled etc.
    Bought it and fitted it at the beginning of April complete with a new strobe box.
    All seemed well until it started bleeping on it's own and I found this 125mA fuse had blown.
    Fitted a new one and all was well again.
    It's just gone again, which is the third time since April.
    I just spoke to tech support at Texecom and was told something is drawing too much current.
    All that is on the panel are contacts on both doors and all windows, no PIR's or anything else.
    I have a mains filter/spike box on the mains inlet so shouldn't be spikes.
    Just wondering if anyone has come across this before or has any ideas what it might be?
    By the way I'm not an electrician, I'm an audio visual engineer and I fitted my original alarm 20 years or more ago which worked faultlessly until it died.
    Nothing else has been changed apart from the box and strobe box.
    Any help most appreciated.
    Thanks
    Barry

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

If no PIRs, I assume you have nothing connected to the AUX power supply?

Is this fuse on the PCB or next to the transformer?

Veritas are known for issues with their transformers becoming noisy and failing, but believe this issue was sorted some years back.

3. bazzaNW

bazzaNW New Member

Hi,
    nothing connected to the aux power supply.
    The fuse is in a 'euro type terminal block' with the mains coming into it and then out to the transformer.

4. bazzaNW

bazzaNW New Member

The original fuse fitted was a Y125mAL250V which is what I have replaced with.

5. bazzaNW

bazzaNW New Member

Sorry typo should have been T125mA L250V

6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

125mA is quite low, is that the fuse on the mains incoming Euro terminal block?

Do you have access to a multimeter?

7. bazzaNW

bazzaNW New Member

Yes that's the fuse on mains incoming euro terminal block. Yes I have a meter

8. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Set your multimeter to the high current range initially (10A or 20A) and connect the probes to the current terminals on the multimeter. Measure the current in series from the output of the transformer to the board.

If you feel competent with mains, then remove the incoming fuse and measure the current into the transformer i.e. place your multimeter probes on the mains fuse holder terminals.

Monitor what is causing the current to rise.

If the fuse blows with the secondary-side disconnected, then you have a faulty transformer/power supply.

9. bazzaNW

bazzaNW New Member

current from transformer to the board reads 120mA seems to jump to 160/170 mA when opening a door.
    current across fuse appears steady at 92mA doesn't go up when opening a door

10. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Whatever is causing the fuse to blow is drawing a significant amount of current. Can you measure the current into the backup battery and the voltage across the terminals?

Which siren have you fitted?

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

According to the manual that fuse should be a 1.6A.

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I don't have much to do with alarms but a 125 m/a fuse on the mains side sounds unreal, are you sure it wasn't 1.25 amps ?

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I do Sen, and it shouldn't be 1/8th of an amp fuse.
    Highly suprised if the OP had spoken to Tex tech and they didn't question the fitted fuse size, Tex tech are usually pretty good.

14. bazzaNW

bazzaNW New Member

according to the manual and the label on the transformer and the original fuse that was in and the spare fuse inside the case it is definitely 125mA

15. bazzaNW

bazzaNW New Member

deffo 125mA see other reply

16. bazzaNW

bazzaNW New Member

current into battery was 60 mA. voltage across battery 13.7V

17. bazzaNW

bazzaNW New Member

Texecom Premier Elite Odyssey 1

18. bazzaNW

bazzaNW New Member

The 1.6A fuse is for thePSU output F5
    FTB mains is 125mA

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The wtf for that output should be higher, have you tried adjusting the omg to mediant levels? If not the lol may be ott.

20. bazzaNW

bazzaNW New Member

veritas 8 specs.PNG