Vertical Column Radiator Some Bars Not Working

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by APBerkshire, Apr 26, 2015.

1. APBerkshire

APBerkshire New Member

Hi All,

Would really appreciate your help as we are having some issues with a radiator.

We have purchased a vertical column radiator like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kitchen/dp/B00E1E2KLS/

(it sort of looks like a vertical radiator that has been stretched out).

We've had two replacements already. The first one had some cold spots and so was replaced. The second one heated evenly but had an issue with the casting in the outlet and so was also replaced. Now the third one is not leaking but is still not uniformly hot.

To give more detail, out of the 20 vertical columns, the 12 on the far left are piping hot, the 3 on the far right are piping hot, but the remaining 5 in the middle are cold from top to bottom.

I'm strongly suspicious of a manufacturing defect but could this be a flow issue? I can't understand why isolated columns are not heating and as mentioned the hot columns are near both inlet and outlet.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Confused!

Some vertical & horizontal radiators can only be used in certain orientations,& you probabley still have some air in the system.
    Can be very difficult to bleed some of these radiators.

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Does sound like air in the system. Are all the other rads on the system hot all over? Xxx

4. APBerkshire

APBerkshire New Member

All other rads are absolutely fine, and it really is the case that some of individual columns are stone cold with others being boiling hot.

Does that / can that happen with this type of radiator?

5. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

No, they should get uniformly hot all over. Could be air or a blockage, you could try turning off all your other radiators and giving this one a 'blast' to see if that improves things.

Some of these radiators are specific to which side is flow and return, presume if that is the case with your rad, you have it the right way round.

Also, if you have a trv on is that directional?

I find that this type of radiator works best with 15mm pipework, that is not to say that they wont work with 10mm but work better and quicker with 15mm. That Amazon price looked quite cheap for this type of radiator, there-in may lie your problem.....Hope some of this helps.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This item has had 2 reviews, the first reviewer states that the lower horizontal bar is blocked to allow circulation, and mentions that the bleed valve is at the same height so giving poor circulation..

i have purchased a kitchen tap from ibath, but within a 18 months the levers broke down, although it came with a 10year warranty, they replaced the parts FOC, the problem was the valves didn't fit correctly using the grub screw, they sent parts out 3 times. In the end I got fed up and I purchased a Franke tap, the taps they sell are copies made in China.

7. APBerkshire

APBerkshire New Member

Thanks all. Pipe is on 15mm and also given it a blast.

It may well be a case of buy cheap buy twice...

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Home, now, just had a look at your link, I see Jit has commented on the two reviews, so nothing more I can add to that.

Cheapest is not always the best.:(