Vertical Radiator Feed/Return

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Brian K Laband, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Brian K Laband

Brian K Laband New Member

Is it feasible/practical to connect the feed and return pipes of a vertical radiator at the top and bottom, instead of them both being at the bottom as is the usual layout ?

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Yes it is, in fact it was common practice when we used to do the EAGA grant work they would insist on the TRV's at high level. You will also see it commonly used in commercial properties and retirement homes.

3. Brian K Laband

Thank's for that Dave. Would the valves need to be on the same side (one above the other ) or diagonally opposite ?

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Best to be diagonally to get a good flow through the radiator

5. Brian K Laband

That's brilliant Dave. Thank you VERY MUCH for your help.

6. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

make sure the flows on the top not the bottom or the rad wont heat aswell.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I''ve seen the TRV heads fitted on the top of the rad and the lock-sheild at the bottom in the Library, the pipes going to it are in 22mm, so less chance of the pipe bending.

8. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

This was only in use for one pipe systems, it won't work efficiently, will get cold spots, can air lock & circulate air

9. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

they work fine if the flows on the top, most new build HA sites have top and bottom valves (lifetime homes spec) but sadly not many who first fixthese jobs label up the flow or even understand the importance of its position.

10. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

I not done this for HA, for disabled etc I have, but valve comes with a long dip tube then, not normal valves