Very damp/wet garage

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Howard Miller, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Howard Miller

Howard Miller New Member

My problem is with my brick-built garage that lets in water and/or is damp. I can't really see where the water is coming from but it collects on the floor working in from the side walls when the rain is heavy. Here's what I know...

- the construction is single-skin brick on a 150mm reinforced concrete slab. I have the plans and they claim that there is a DPC. The middle part of the slap remains dry so I don't think it's coming up through the floor.
    - it was built about 20 years ago
    - The brickwork and pointing is all in good condition as is the pitched, tiled roof. The gutters have been cleaned and the drains... well... drain.
    - It has what I think is called a 'french drain' right round the outside (perforated pipe buried in gravel)
    - it is in an exposed location at the top of a hill in Scotland with nothing but fields to the rear. It's the exposed end that gets wettest.

My thoughts are that the water is percolating through the bricks although there's no visible evidence (no water running down the walls or anything).

Is it worth trying something like Thomson's Water Seal... or something else... or is more investigation needed?

Any thoughts much appreciated :)

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Does the slab continue outside of the wall? If water sits there, it will find its way in under the brickwork.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Howard Miller

Howard Miller New Member

Outside the wall there is concrete but it gently slopes for a few inches towards the french drain...

french.jpg

Here are a couple of excerpts from the plans...

construction.jpg
    section.jpg

4. Mr. Handyandy

That concrete looks to be higher than the bottom brick. Rain running down the wall may be getting between and staying there until it seep inwards.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Howard Miller likes this.
  5. Howard Miller

Howard Miller New Member

So... the cure is?

...or, even better, is there any way to prove it with (I'm guessing) drastic remedial action?

6. Howard Miller

Howard Miller New Member

The scrapy line at the bottom (hard to photograph in the dark and wet) is the edge of the concrete - I scraped back some of the mud. You're right, it's up the side of the bottom brick.
    bricks.jpg

7. Howard Miller

Howard Miller New Member

I'm not sure if it's the done thing to 'bump' but has anybody any more ideas/help at all. Getting a bit desperate as stuff is getting knackered due to the wet/damp :(

Thanks!

8. Mr. Handyandy

Personally, I would get a large tin of bitumen sealant and whack it on with plenty at the brick/concrete joint and up the wall(where it has been thinly painted before) and say 3" onto the concrete. Start at the joint and fill as much as you can then a nice thick coat all over again.

You could test by running water down the wall and monitoring its influx, but that would just make it wetter than you want, and it may take a time to come through.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Howard Miller

Howard Miller New Member

Great... that's what I'll do then.

If that works - is there likely to be a benefit in painting the rest of the brickwork with a sealant (Thompson's WaterSeal say)? In an idea world, I'd like to get it as dry as I can.

Thanks for the help :)

10. Mr. Handyandy

I think generally, it is better to let the majority of brickwork 'breathe', so sealing it all might not be best.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Howard Miller

Howard Miller New Member

Ok... I'll see how I get on with the black stuff. Appreciate your help!