Very hot water in header tank!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dumb&Plumber, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Dumb&Plumber

Dumb&Plumber New Member

I was called to a property becacause of a leak from the header tank which turned out to be coming from the overflow. When I took the lid off the tank to see if the valve was leaking I discovered that the water in tank was very hot. Obviously the tank is somehow filling with hot water, the feed pipe to the cylinder is also very hot! Any ideas - please??

2. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

the water in the tank is too high, the vent pipe is dipped in the water and its made a circuit, like another radiator, shorten the ventpipe to break the circuit and lower the water level by adjusting the ballvalve,

3. Razor69

Razor69 New Member

Or the stats gone on the boiler or the cylinder coil is perforated or the cold feeds blocked etc etc

4. Dumb&Plumber

Dumb&Plumber New Member

Thanks for comments, the vent pipe is barely in the tank so don't think that's the problem, how would the water have got that high in the 1st place if the valve is not leaking?
    Would assume that if cold feed blocked the hot water would not be able to get back up and they would have no hot water?

5. garyt

garyt Member

check the pump speed, it could be set too high and pushing water up the vent.

6. Itandje

Itandje New Member

He's talking about the cold water header tank not the c/h one.

7. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

which tank are you talkin about dumbo ? if it is the coldwater storage that feeds the cylinder, then the water in the cylinder is either too hot, or, a mixer tap or shower is mixing hot and mains cold,and getting throught to the cylinder,
    check the immersion heater is switched off,if its not that fit check valves to all hot water outlets, taps showers washing machines,

8. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

sounds like the water is circulating round the cylinder / tank, normally overheating does this , check stats or immersion etc

9. Itandje

Itandje New Member

which tank are you talkin about dumbo ?

This might give you a clue.

the feed pipe to the cylinder is also very hot!

10. Itandje

Itandje New Member

.....dumbo. :^O

11. Switcher

Switcher New Member

Just stuff the vent pipe with expanding foam.
    And have * in cistern whilst you're at it.
    Merry Christmas.

[Edited by: admin]

12. BUMDRUM

BUMDRUM New Member

Merry Christmas.

ADMIN,whilst we all like to have a laugh,Plumes needs to be monitored on his dangerous advice.We already have had a horrible accident involving an over heated storage tank.His reply is very concerning.

13. imran_

imran_ New Member

I think Plumes advice was obviously a joke (as often is... :) ). Just highlights again that any Dick can become a plumber without skills or qualifications and potentially create very dangerous situations.

ONE thing a proper plumber would have done is turned off and made safe the hot water cyl if it could not be fixed immediately.

14. Dumb&Plumber

Dumb&Plumber New Member

I thought this forum was supposed to be for friendly advice/chat but all you get is idiots like you just * people off!! I suppose you were born a PROPER plumber were you? *

[Edited by: admin]

15. Itandje

Itandje New Member

No he weren't, a PROPER plumber told him.

16. imran_

imran_ New Member

I wasn't born a plumber, but I did my training and learnt the trade PROPERLY before going out and charging people. And NOT leaving them with a potentially dangerous system.

Contrary to what people think, plumbing is NOT supposed to be learnt from "messing about whilst trying not to flood anyone". Look at all the posts on here - consumers who have employed "plumbers" and now have problems - but they come on here, not call their "plumber".

Perhaps sometimes everyone needs to be reminded of the seriousness of the job, and that wrong decisions CAN kill people. Hopefully the new Part G will put all heating systems under building regs.

17. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

making a wrong decision can kill people , its not just plumbers though

18. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

which tank are you talkin about dumbo ?

This might give you a clue.

the feed pipe to the cylinder is also very hot!

sshhsshhsshh!!!! was that comment a clue itanje?

19. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

making a wrong decision can kill people , its not
    just plumbers though

when next u do a job, try telling the customer not to touch something? guess what, they'll touch it?

no one is an expert. weR constantly learning, & the day u stop to learn, well, u die. the most important thing plumbers (infact any tradesman/woman or professional) should bear in mind is that YOU DO NOT PROCEED WITH AN INSTALLATION/PROCEEDURE if ur not sure of what ur doing. the consequences could be devastating.

Merry Christmas & a verry happy & prosperous new year 2U all. that includes u all at admin. dont say no one ever thinks of u lot. :^O