Very old shower replacement

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, May 8, 2016.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

We've been saving for a new bathroom, but sod's law, the 30+ year old electric shower has packed in before we are ready to do it, so I need to replace it asap with a cheap electric shower to tide us over.

As it is such an old unit, I'm not sure what is safe to replace it with. Would something like a Triton Seville 8.5kw be a good bet or do we need to go with a lower spec? The old one is a Berry Magicoal, council issue.

Any help much appreciated, cheers :)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You would need a 40A fuse, for a 8.5kw shower, & a 32A fuse for a 7.5Kw shower.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks! It's an old fusebox too, looks like a 30A glass fuse for the shower.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

OMG!:eek:

Some photo's please.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  5. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

6. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

The shower, I think, is the unlabelled one on the right.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek: 60A

Don't know what the sparks on here think about it, but I think you seriously need to consider replacing that consumer unit to one with mcb's or rcbo's & up to 17th Ed regs, etc.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Monkey Chops likes this.
  8. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks again. It's another thing that's in the pipeline, but it's not been problematic so far, so it had been put down the list.

It has had some kind of circuit breaker thing added below it, it looks more modern than the fusebox, but it is still very old! I'll do a pic.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I thought those types of db's were just distant memories,

I would use a shower/garage unit off of Henly to feed shower this would encompass manufacturer/reg stipulations. Cable csa/condition and splicing technique etc all have to be taken into consideration - thus a sparks should be engaged.

KIAB and Monkey Chops like this.
  10. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

breaker.jpg Circuit breaker

11. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

meter.jpg Ancient meter

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh right -

13. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

at least that box has a retro fit rcd added so thats a plus.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You could most likely get you meter replaced FOC, as was mine here, which was identical to your meter.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  15. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks. Really? Through your energy company?

16. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Does that RCD cover the whole board or just the shower circuit, its only rated at 30 amps. Or does it just do the sockets?

Nothing wrong with the fuse as such, its a 30A HRC and is quite safe, the circuit should be RCD protected either way though. I would be more bothered the size of the cable feeding the shower although it looks like a council re-wire done by Norweb in 1985, it will be either 4mm or 6mm, should be ok for a 7.5kW shower at least.

fire, KIAB and Monkey Chops like this.
  17. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks. I'm not entirely sure. Is it just a case of flicking it off and then seeing what, if anything still works?

18. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

same with the fuses thats how i found out what powered what when i moved into my house as nothing was labeled when i moved in.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm sure you have to have gas & electric meters replaced by law after so many years.

Done through your supplier.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use to able to slow those meters down with a strong magnet.:eek:

3phaseelectrics and Monkey Chops like this.