[very] raised patio - opinions please!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Rob_bv, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

A couple that I'm due to start an extension job for next week have also asked me to replace their raised decking at the back (roughly 5m x 2.5m, around 1.2m high; sketch attached) with a patio.

Initially, they wanted to build a retaining wall across the front and side, fill it with rubble from the extension then lay composite decking on the top (they don't want the hassle of looking after normal decking). Now they want a patio on top, paved in black limestone.

The patio will be below the dpc of the building so damp isn't really a concern.

I'm planning on blockwork walls all the way around to form a box, block on flat, filling it in c/w weep vents at the front, then compacting and sticking a 6" RC slab on top. The problem with this is that it's more expensive than the client would like. I've looked at options with a suspended slab on an RSJ frame, but that turned out even more expensive.

So I figured I'd ask on here for a few learned opinions - waddya think, fellas?

Attached Files:

• deck.jpg
      deck.jpg
      File size:
      468.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If your retaining wall is strong enough, you could infill in 150mm layers compacting with a vibrating plate, get this right and you shouldn't need the RC slab, just bed slabs down on Sharp sand and Cement.

How are you planning any steps.??

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same way ,as I have done it over the years.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not being funny, but from the sketch-up, wonder how it can be below dpc?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

It's a strange house! It's built on a pretty steep hill, but the dpc is the same level all the way round.

6. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Just double checked the height with them, turns out it's actually 2m high, not 1.2! So much for the block-on-flat idea.

7. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Steps will be to the side as they currently are with the decking, I just didn't show anything on the sketch

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You could get away with using a block and beam system at that height, save a good few ton of infill.

Then if your clever you could put a door in the wall and have under patio storage. ;);)

9. Mr. Handyandy

Surely the dpc is at bottom of door, which is also where your patio is!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Mr. Handyandy

So you haven't even seen it yet?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

That's just my rubbish sketch, it's not particularly accurate. Imagine the patio is a couple of inches lower.

12. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Seen it, but about 3 months ago. Currently on revision 6 of the original quote (which didn't include this bit)

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Some friends in Luton have that, the garden slopes down at 20 to 30 degrees and they have under patio storage where they keep the gardening tools and wine!

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Great use of a large space, B&B is the way to go, saves a fortune on infill.:)

15. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Bed and Breakfast? One way to pay for it ...

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:):):):)

17. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Block and beam sounds like a good idea, then concrete round the edge to bolt the new timber handrail to.

Already suggested the storage option, but not interested - they don't want a door to have to paint!

My main concern at this point is how thick to make the front wall, and would the BCO want to see any calcs for it.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Somewhere to put garden funiture, kid toys for the winter.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even a play den for the kids.:)

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

At 2m drop - you are now well into the realms of Building regs ........ let the fun begin

Attached Files: