Victorian Fire Door FD30 - (XL Joinery Non- Raised Mouldings)

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just fitted this fire door in today (non raised mouldings) with new linings. The lining had to be made to the opening using the jig I made for the router.

this door went in much easier than other. Only had to take of a few mm in the hinge side.

upload_2017-4-4_19-38-12.png

Reclaimed bronze handle with brass euro thumbturn cylinder (Iseo F5).
    upload_2017-4-4_19-39-17.png

upload_2017-4-4_19-39-52.png

upload_2017-4-4_19-39-0.png

6" lock by Imperial Locks. Morctice was cut out using the souber tool which really saved me a lot of time and could be carried out with the door hung.The lock forend was routed out then finished off by hand. Its is set off center being fire door it is 44mm thick
    upload_2017-4-4_19-39-39.png

Latch plate was cut out using a trimmer set to the correct depth then fisned off by chisel.
    upload_2017-4-4_19-38-42.png

Need to seal the gap between linings and opening. Door stops still to be fitted. Awaiting delivery for escutcheon plate.

Hinge Fitting

using the hinge jig I made, hinge recess is routed out to inucled thickness of instrumsten pad.
    upload_2017-4-4_19-47-50.png

With hing in place a bradwal s used to mark a centre point. Did have a centre drill but not very good one. Point is drilled with 3mm drill bit to accept screws.
    upload_2017-4-4_19-48-1.png

Hinge fire instrumescent pad is attached, these are from Ironmongery direct which are self adhesive. SF ones aren't.
    upload_2017-4-4_19-48-16.png

Hinge is secured using screws.
    upload_2017-4-4_19-48-27.png

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Old door

Linings had been doubled up on both sides .
    upload_2017-4-4_20-6-50.png

Door was LH opening, now changed to RH as this is what was original.
    upload_2017-4-4_20-6-40.png

Working On It likes this.
  3. Speedy23

Speedy23 New Member

Hi Jitender - nice job. Where's the intumescent strip for the rest of the door? Is it in the frame? Can you post a picture of your hinge jig? Interested to see it....
    Thanks
    S23

4. Working On It

Working On It Member

Very Nice job, well done. Does that knob actually work the latch, seems to be a long way from the edge?

WOI

5. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

hi jitender nice job but why does lock have to be off center if it a 44mm fire door ?

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Seen a few fire doors with the lock off centre.

I f I had drilled it center then the latching plate would be set back much further in so I think it helps with the door closing.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes lock and handle works. Lock is an imperial locks which is 151mm deep (6") so the drilling ig came in use.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had the lining all made to order from tulip/poplar wood. They machined a 14mm x 4mm deep groove in all the linings, haven't fitted the strips yet, ill do them once all doors are in i have 2 more doors to do so should be ready for Tuesday.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I made it a short while ago in 'project photo's', does the job, and cant fault it.

http://community.screwfix.com/threads/first-jig-project.186657/

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Fitting the architraves are going to be a bit difficult.
    House has had movement so the walls and plaster isn't level, had to fit in all the doors plum and level. Fitted linings as best as I could level enough to be plaster on either side. Some of the plaster just fell off in large chunks. above the door is lath plaster and am not sure it would meet fire regulations?

Will have to mark out the plaster and cut back about an extra 1/2" so they sit flush.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Door I fitted today had a massive gap on one side on the floor about 16mm!. Tried the best I could as can only take off 6mm from each edge.

Will have to remove the carpet threshold and pack up to close the gaps as best as I can.

12. Working On It

Working On It Member

Does this door have to meet fire regs?

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes.

It will need a self closer as well.

14. Working On It

Working On It Member

Is the brass knob fire rated?

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'm not sure. Its an old handle so wont have a rating.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is another door have fitted, this is still made by XL Joinery but is claeed the 'Raised Moulding' type, a little more expensive. Came better packege to protect the mouldings.

upload_2017-4-14_16-59-33.png

New architrave fitted, this was machined by a joinery shop to match old one. It is about 110mm wide.
    upload_2017-4-14_16-59-42.png

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Nice clean work that. Do you use a pin gun for your arcs, or did you do them by hand?

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Architrave was nailed in by hand. Am thinking of getting a nail gun but quite expensive. Don't want a compressor set up as touch to carry around. Looking at an electric nail gun.

Going to oil them in summer. Since fitting the doors have moved sligtly and needed planing to fit. Dont mind fitting doors but wouldnt like to do fire doors. These weigh 38kg.

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Hate doing fire doors, do my best not to get involved, but tend to ramp price right up if have to price for them. If you don't use it day in and out then maybe the hitachi second fix cordless nailer would suit you, as it's half the price of a paslode, my mate has one he uses regularly and swears by it.

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The door are becoming a nightmare, I adjusted 2 last week when job finished.

Out of the 2 one has expanded quite a bit. I would say in some places the door is only 0.5mm away from the lining. All doors were fitted with a 3-4mm gap all the way around.

Two more are now giving trouble. Both doors will need to be taken off and planed on the hinge side to reduce the width. doing the lock side is more difficult as lock needs to be reset and will affect the alignment of the handles.

I know the instructions do say to apply finish to the doors immediately.

Hoping they wont give any more trouble as planning on applying finish in summer (2 months time).

The doors I fitted at my own home haven't been as bad. only the bathroom needed adjusting. Still haven't applied finish on these doors also:oops: