Virtually new radiators failing one by one

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by LeakingKen, May 20, 2015.

1. LeakingKen

LeakingKen New Member

Hi

I'm hoping to get some help with a problem we have with new radiators that are failing one after the other. We had all 11 radiators in the house replaced about two years ago and so far 4 have failed and started leaking (usually as soon as we go on holiday!). We've sent one of them off to the manufacturer for anlaysis and they say it's because they have rusted due to lack inhibitor in the system. Our plumber, who we know well and is good, says he definitely put inhibitor in the system when he replaced them all.

We have a small tank in the loft and I've tried securing the ball valve to see if fresh water is being added to the system and as far as I can tell it isn't, although the water in the small tank is often very hot and we seem to have an almost constant flow from the expansion pipe. I've turned the boiler in the garage down from 4 to 2 and that helps a bit as far as temperature and expansion goes.

If I turn the heating off and secure the ball valve we don't seem to lose any water from the small tank so I'm assuming we don't have a leak (at least not one that happens when the water is cold).

Our plumber hasn't seen this before and admits he's stumped. Can anyone help please?

2. Hi Ken.

I've no idea what's causing the water flow from the expansion pipe - I think you'd need to provide a lot more info on that, such as type of system, photos of pipe layout (around the boiler, hot cylinder, pump location, valves, pipes leading up to the loft etc), but if there is hot water being ejected regularly out the exp pipe, landing in the tank mixing in a constant supply of air, and this is being circulated around your system, I think I can guess why your rads have rusted.

And - really - your plumber SHOULD be able to work out what's causing this exp water flow.

How old is the rest of the system (apart from the rads)? And what else was changed at that time?

3. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Other useful info would be:
    Did the original radiators leak? (why did you have to change them?)
    Did you have the expansion overflow problem with the original radiators?
    What make of new radiator?
    How long between purchase and fitting - especially with the fitting caps removed?

diymostthings

4. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

I assume you mean the pipe hanging over the tank; not the overflow pipe which goes outside the house.

In either case, you should not get a constant flow from the pipe.

If it's the pipe hanging over the boiler: it's called pump-over and is usually due to the pump at too high a setting. It could also be due to the expansion pipe not going up high enough before it bends over. (The top of the bend should be 450mm above the water level.)

You can also get pump-over if the expansion and feed pipes have not been connected to the boiler circuit correctly or if there is a blockage.

If it's the overflow pipe: the water level in the tank is too high. It should not be more than half full when the boiler water is up to temperature.

In either case, a competent plumber/heating engineer should be able to diagnose the problem.

If water is going out of the overflow, that would explain why the rads are going rusty: you will have lost all your inhibitor by now.

5. LeakingKen

LeakingKen New Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. So it sounds like if I can find the cause of the hot water venting into the tank I might be able to sort the radiator problem. The house is about 20 years old and the only things that were replaced were the radiators, with Stelrad ones. The reason we replaced the old radiators was because they started leaking one by one over a relatively short space of time. We thought we were doing the right thing by replacing all of them (!). I don't know if the venting into the tank was happening then. The new radiators were installed straight away without being left around for a long period. The pump is in the airing cupboard upstairs and is a Grundfos Super Selectric set at 2 out of 3.

To clarify, we're not losing any water out of the overflow. The bend in the expansion pipe is about 450mm above the water level in the tank. Our boiler is a Baxi Solo 2 in the garage.

Would a power flush be a good next step to clear any possible blockage?

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Hi Ken
    A powerflush will help clear a lot of the debris from your system but probably not any blockage you may have probably in the cold feed / open vent area. To be certain the best solution is usually to cut out and remake it. You could even consider a magnetic filter in the return pipe near the boiler as another preventative measure, something like a Magnaclean Pro 2.
    The probable cause of the rapid corrossion is due to the pumping over adding oxygen to your system which in turn accelerates the process of decay.
    One solution which may or may not be possible dependant upon the condition of your system would be to convert it to a sealed system, by adding an expansion vessel suitably sized to suit and a filling link. If like you said the boiler is in the garage and you have a cold main supply nearby it shouldnt be too hard a job. The old Baxi Solo's are suitable for that kind of system.
    What this would be achieving is eradicating the pumping over issue as the F&E tank becomes redundant thereby not allowing excess air into the system.
    May be worth a chat with your plumber see what he thinks.

7. Hmm, good point - if the old and the new rads have corroded as badly as they clearly have, then there will be a shed-load of gunge in your pipework. A partial blockage is oner good reason why water is forced up an expansion pipe.

It's a viscous circle (you know what I mean...)

What boiler do you have fitted?

8. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

The expansion pipe and the cold feed (that's the one coming out of the bottom of the small tank) should both connect, about 150mm apart, to the pipe from boiler to the pump. If you have a magnet, check the pipes around the junctions. If it shows any attraction, it means the pipes are blocked.

Can you post a pic showing the pump and the above junction?

9. Dave does Gas

He has a Baxi Solo 2 one of the better Baxi products back in its day, easy install fantastic to service.

10. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

You used to be able to buy a fitting (expansion box?) that you connect the cold feed to then take the expansion off it and over the tank which stops the pump over (I've not seen one for a long time) they where very popular with early fully pumped systems.
    I've seen many different methods over the years (some very inventive) of curing the "pump over" (Tom knows a really good one) however, non of which you would ever find in a plumbing manual!!
    Tappy,

11. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Are you thinking of the Aerjec? They are still available. The problem is that most of them are not installed correctly.

12. Dave does Gas

And if you get that little bit of solder in them, a life time of rattle

13. LeakingKen

LeakingKen New Member

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I think I'm going to try a powerflush first and then see if I still have a problem after that. Fingers crossed and I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Ken

14. LeakingKen

LeakingKen New Member

Hmmm...I spoke to a powerflush company and they said they would be very wary of powerflushing a system where 7 out of 11 radiators could be potential leaks. Their advice was to get back to my insurance company and propose that we replace the remaining radiators and then powerflush. There's still the risk that the pipes themselves might leak but short of replacing the entire system we may have to take a risk on that. So it's back to the insurers.

15. Good point indeed.

If 4 out of 11 rads have corroded right through in only 2 years (that's some corrosion), then the remaining rads must be pretty darned close to doing so too.

What often keeps these rads from finally leaking is the coating of sludge on the inside! So, a good power-flush could easily cause quite a shower...

If you reckon you can get them replaced under insurance cover, then absolutely go for it.

Copper piping is usually ok; if anything it's the odd fitting that could fail (tho' I don't think a power flush itself will do that.)

Keep us posted.

16. LeakingKen

LeakingKen New Member

Hi there, I thought I'd give you a quick update on progress with our problem; basically the insurance company isn't interested and whilst they will cover us for any leaks they won't be replacing our radiators any time soon (no surprise there really). I've been on to Baxi who say they think it's a blockage in the system causing the overflow and they suggested we do a test to see if there is any inhibitor left in the system at all which sounds like a good idea.

We may see if we can powerflush the system with the radiators on bypass or maybe with one at a time connected to minimize the risk of a multiple flood. I don't want to start replacing radiators until we're sure we've found the cause of the problem; if a flush results in the hot venting going away then I'm guessing its fixed. Then we will just have the decision of whether to replace all the radiators (again) or just hope they aren't all rusted up inside (which sounds likely).

17. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

a few options dependant on costs really.

Powerflush, repipe problem pipework, replace any failed rads
    Powerflush, seal the system/ remove problem pipework, replace any failed rads
    powerflush, replace all rads, seal system / remove problem pipework
    fit an new system
    sell your house and let somebody else sort it :)

18. Dave does Gas

So your doing a bit of what I sugested back on the 20th May still believe if you convert the system to a sealed system you will have no further issues.

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.:)

Dave does Gas likes this.
  20. And when you pressurise your sealed system to 1 bar+, the other rads will definitely blow :)